How quickly to ovarian cysts grow?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any replies.

I just wondered if anyone had had a fluid filled cyst that whilst waiting for treatment or over a period of watch and wait management it grew? And if you could tell me the time frame and how much it grew by!

I dont know how long i have had mine so dont know the time its taken to get to the size it has. But im worried its growing in the time im waiting for surgery!

THANKS AGAIN

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

there is no hard or fast rule of how quickly a cyst grows, some grow at a very fast pace like 5-10 inches in a matter of 2-4 weeks and some are slow growing. I had one, simple fluid filled one on left ovary measuring 2.6*1.9 cm,my gynaecologist wasn't v worried abt it and said there was no need for any surgery or treatment becoz size is v small

• Posted

im just panicking as it was 16cm and its been 6 weeks now since ultrasound x

• Posted

i had a 10cm on scan blood filled cyst which was around 11-12cm on removal. Scan to removal was about 1.5 months. That maybe how much it grew or limitations of the ultrasound.

I have been having another blood filled cyst monitored for about a year and it has grown from a couple of cm to about 3-4cm.

I do however think that it just depends on the person/cyst.

• Posted

I had a lap so 3 tiny incisions.

The gas i am sure you have read is painful but it doesnt last long.

you can not even see my scars now, the main 1 is even hard for me to find and i know where to look. I did have significant bruising though which i hadnt seen anyone mention. That didnt come until a couple of days after.

I had to stay in overnight as my surgery was the afternoon and i couldnt pee so couldnt go home.

I recovered fairly quickly to be honest, the only thing that worried me was a weird feeling under the main incision which came on a week or so in, it felt like a pulling sensation and i googled and thought i might be getting a hernia which panicked me but it wasnt and it turned out fine and went away.

Good luck tomorrow. Dont have any expectations about recovery and just listen to the dr's orders and your body. Only do what you can feel you can do and dont rush recovery.

• Posted

hi my wife just had her ct scan and it shows a 14cm by 16cm cyst on her right ovary.she had a ct scan about 3 months ago and it showed nothing so this thing is no more then 3 months to get to this size.she has some pain but the worst is her stomach got big and it's hard and very uncomfortable.she had this second scan on Tue night and this Tuesday she is going to get it out.the only good thing is she works for a GYN DOCTOR and hes doing the surgery.

• Posted

thanks for that. i go in tomorrow to have mine removed! have they said how they are removing it open surgery or laproscopic?

• Posted

they are going for laparoscopic she is 50 they are also going to remove the ovary and uterus and maybe the appendix

• Posted

fingers crossed mine is laproscopic too easier recovery. they are also removing my tube and ovary. good luck to your partner x

• Posted

hi Amy her doctor just called her said to admit her tomorrow morning because he wants her on iv fluids so she's going in at 8am but her surgery is still tue 3pm.with this she really does not want to eat to much because her stomach is already big and tight so he wants go make sure she has enough fluids in her and also they can give her any of the meds that she will have to take before the surgery.i guess it is a good thing she works for this doctor because she can always get in on the phone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.