How realistic is my goal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

By the end of the year I want to be at a normal haemoglobin of 120. It's currently at 80 due to nosebleeds but I'm determined to get my HB levels to rise back to normal. I'm fed up of doctors telling me that for normal people my levels are awful but for me 80 is good, I don't want 80 to be good. I want to be at 120 like everyone else.

So I'm currently on ferrous sulphate 3 x day and folic acid 1 x day. I'm taking them with orange juice and eating fortified foods.

Is there anyway I can get my iron levels to rise and create more blood?

Is my goal realistically possible?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

HI Russell, has it been determine why you are having nosebleeds? If not; I would say that you might want to investigate that. It isn't normal to have frequent nose bleeds...if it was we would all be experiencing that. While taking supplements to bring your numbers up is a good idea it may simply mask an underlying problem. It's always good practice to find the source of the problem rather than just treat the symptoms. In answer to your question...your numbers won't take long to climb provided your nosebleeds are not too frequent, three months of supplements should certainly give you a good count.

• Posted

They think it's connected to me having Henoch-Scholien Purpura 3 years ago. I've had it cauterised and packed but it still bleeds. They are looking into getting me TXA just for my nose. I hope it works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.