How reliable is a pelvic ultrasound scan

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was reffered by my GP to have a pelvic scan after seeing him with pelvic pain and groin pain He said on examination he thought he could feel a possible cyst. I have been in quite a lot of pain all over my pelvic area and feel generally unwell. Had my scan this morn but she said she can see nothing abnormal. How reliable to see cysts is an ultasound. I have a gyneocologist app in 2 weeks will he reccomend a different scan. or just leave it now. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Very but cysts can occasionally be hidden by internal organs so another one or sort may be recommended.
  • Posted

I had trans vaginal scan which found mine although it was a different type to what it appeared, was this the type you had or was yours external 
    • Posted

Mine was external. its just wierd as she was pushing the scanner on my tummy it really hurt. I said oww but she says she could not see anything. I am in agony now snuggled on sofa with a hot water bottle lol. 
    • Posted

Ask for the internal one. They spotted my cyst straight away. Hope your pain and discomfort eases soon xx
    • Posted

Well i hope when i see the consultant he will do it anyway. Thank you for your reply. xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.