How safe is a colonoscopy?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've heard so many conflicting things about a colonoscopy and i'm not sure what to think of it. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

a colonoscopy can be a life saving procedure, and have become very routine and safe. Do your research on a proper doctor beforehand! Get someone who specializes in colonoscopies and gastroenterology
  • Posted

You can probably rationalize any medical decision you make if you search the internet enough. One study that caught my eye was -

Over 10 years, 2 lives were saved out of 1,000 participants by screening.

Out of 1,000 participants, 5 ended up with serious complications due to the colonoscopy.

Also there are alternative screening tests ranging from virtual colonoscopy to home tests like Cologuard.

I'm not a doctor.

• Posted

Hi....i would take that study with "a pinch of  salt"....when i had my last colonoscopy the senior consultant said the risk of complication (i.e. perforation) was ONE IN 8,000...!. Also a virtual colonoscopy using a ct scanner would only pick up masses of approx pea size and above...where as a colonoscopy would potentially detest much smaller masses i.e. polyps much  smaller ..say grain of rice size that a ct would miss. At the end of the day the advantages  of a colonoscopy vastly outweigh the disadvantages...regards

• Posted

Actually... average is closer to one in 1000.

• Posted

I think the Cologuard test is a big SCAM... I took one, results came back positive... so I contacted Cologuard and asked that they send me the DETAILED results... two tests, two samples... one to test for blood in stool, one for DNA... they say 11 Biomarkers tested... so... send me the SPECIFICS of the results... they refused.

Why would they refuse, since they SUPPOSEDLY did the tests and had the results ready and available, or how could they issue a "Positive" result? Answer: The whole thing is a SCAM... they admit to 40% false positives... I think the entire thing is a CON.

I issued a complaint to the FDA... but have little hope THOSE crooks will do anything...

• Posted

Yes, there is some risk to colonoscopies... I suggest watching Dr Bergman on You tube, "Colon Health and The Dangers of Colonoscopies "

I suggest doing a FIT test, to start... inexpensive on Ebay... IF positive, you have to grit your teeth and have a colonoscopy... consider a CT colonoscopy if insurance will cover...

• Posted

Yes, I can speak from experience that there are risks. You have to weight them for yourself to see if the benefits are higher than the risk. In my case I contracted a resistant form of CDiff infection from the scope. If they tell you they clean them and they are totally sterile then you are being lied to. They can't completely clean the scope. So bacteria that is hardy like Cdiff can still be present and it can also be fatal. I was sick with it off and on for three plus years . I also have IBD and that is why I went in, for routine monitoring of the disease, well I got yet one more on top of it. So, again one must weight the risks. If you ask me a routing screening scope at age 50 is a bad idea. I wouldn't take the risk unless there is a reason, like passing blood. If you feel fine and have no family history of colon cancer I would take a pass on it. I have IBD and was told that I need one every 18 months and I told them flat out no. I go in about every 5 years and that too may change. However, just because it happened to me and I have had three bad scope tests doesn't mean that it will happen to all. I just think that I happen to be real unlucky. One has to decide for themselves if they want to go in for one.

• Posted

I did my colonoscopy May 2018 there is nothing wrong on getting that done the worst part is the prep they out you too sleep done in 20 minutes make sure.you get checked while your in your 40's not older than 50 the early detection the better chance of saving your life and there may be some descriptices on the safety of getting a colonoscopy not eveyone's body is the same. Don't listen too the ones who tell you not to get it its better safe than sorry ok. Its not that bad like your thinking either.

• Posted

Yes too update you I would suggest after hearing and reading on this not too get that done and I will tell you why I just had another surgery and I am suing the company on that machine they used they found a hole in my colon and I am still furious over this. I could have died on 2/7/19 and I am definitely not getting anymore colonoscopies either they can leave my body alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.