How safe is taking a biopsy from the esophagus?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know how much (in length) tissue is being taken (biopsy) from the esophagus?

What are the chances of bleeding and rupturing the esophagus?

Is this possible rupture/bleeding something that happens during an endoscopy or after the endoscopy.

The reason why I'm asking that is because I have some very little trouble breathing, but no chest pain, nausea, vomiting, black stool, dizziness etc.

24 hours have passed after the procedure (was not sedated), can swallow without problems. Had 4 biopsies from the cardia section (z-line) because of my Barretts.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi esic, If any serious damage had been done, you would definitely have known about it by now. You'd be fainting, vomiting, passing black stool etc., and this would have started shortly after the procedure.

I'm guessing this is just a symptom of the inevitable minor damage done during the biopsy. The amount of tissue taken would depend on what was found in the course of the endoscopy.

The trouble with anything breathing-related is that it's impossible to take your mind off it, and this automatically makes it worse. I assume you've been to sleep at some point since the procedure. Did you feel that the breathlessness had woken you at any point? If it didn't wake you, this would tend to suggest a heightened awareness problem.

As long as it's not getting any worse, I'd suggest waiting another day or so, then calling your doctor if you're still worried.

• Posted

Yeah I think you are 100% correct. I not panickin or anyhitng but I can't get my mind off it. It didn't wake me and I had a good sleep of 6 hours and when I dont concentrate it seems to go away.. I guest its just some short term anxiety going on...

• Posted

Yeah, we all get like that when we think there's something wrong with our breathing - it's a perfectly natural reaction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.