How severe can tingling from anxiety become?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, just wondering if what is going on with me is normal... I read a lot of people get tingling sensations accross their body during anxiety/panic attack, but mine has become really extreme. When I have panic attacks I have trouble closing my fists and I feel an intense tickling and weakness in the palms. I have trouble walking too because the back of my knees feel really strained. Yeah.. I'm normally a pretty strong guy, or at least I was before this started happening.. so you can imagine how bad it is for me to actually have trouble moving my arms and legs. When I get these attacks I feel like my brain is about to shut off and I'm just going to go completley limp. It feels like an intense neurological overload.. but it happens once a day and anti-depressants don't help at all. (benzodiazapine does, but not quick enough) I read that working out helps aleviate anxiety but I feel too weak to even leave my house right now. After one of these attacks I get intense tickling and tingling sensation in the back of my knee and elbows.. not sure if it's my veins or nerves tingling, but it's hard to walk after and I get constant vertigo and dizziness. Is there anything 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This sounds very difficult to cope with. I'm sorry you're going through this. I am no expert on anxiety disorders but I've read enough posts from others to know that the degree of tingling and other symptoms can be very extreme.

I'm sure others will soon post better advice. I'll be thinking of you. xx Tess

• Posted

I have some strange face tingling stuff myself. Although dr.noted tmj and at times sinus related. That tingling has a scientific evident base but its coming from the anxiety attacks and the effect all the chemicals, muscle tensing, muscle spasms ..etc..they cause the symptom. It waxes and wanes. What you wrote is observant a nuerological overload. I will agree with that. Breathing is effected as well and oxygen is well needed to circulate properly. So learn biofeedback and how to belly brathe. Bellybio app to help guide you. Try and look past the symptoms, raise your awareness a bit higher if you can. Like when an airplane rides above a storm.You seem very smart and observe well. To get some calmness and some relief you will need to raise your awareness higher.  You are more then a body. I hope that makes sense. You are focusing in your body only. Cant heal like that. The panic disorder and the symotoms are awful, terrorizing and traumaic at times. Thats a given. Next level of thought needs to be how do i get above this to gain a sense of calm. Healing meditations that resonate with you can help. Therapy can help. Cbt can help. Knowledge will raise your awareness. Your spiritual beliefs (not religon but can be) will help you calm as well but you need what resonates with you. Theres so much out there. You want and a place to escape and state of mind to go to to alleviate some of this and all we have is the hierarchy abilities to learn and use to do this. Mindfullness is a great tool as well. The symptom list can go for pages and the pain level and discomfort can follow suit. Escape your thoughts only relating to the body and symptoms so you can catch a break from all this. Meds can help with that but the goal should be you reprogramming, retraining your own rationale to all this.
  • Posted

There are many here who experience intense tingling, It seems common with anxiety, but is not one of my issues. I agree that others with your sams symptoms will reply to you. This is often a slow time of day on a Saurday. Hang in there, Adwink

• Posted

Also, there's something wrong with the website at the moment.

So other people WILL answer you pretty soon, Ad.

Try not to panic - I know it's very, very difficult.     xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.