How should I carry on the year?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diganosed with depression and have been on medication since the beginning of this year. This was during the final term of my second year of university and was one of the toughest moments of my life. Over the summer I began to feel better and felt as though I had more motivation to want to take part in things and be more social again. So I carried on and started my third year of university, but after only 3 weeks in I feel over whelmed. The workload is ok at the moment, there is just so much going on and everyone keeps on telling me I need to remember to take time out for myself, which just makes me even more stressed. Especially as I know the year will just get harder. So what do I do? I know if I give up the year and take a break I probably won't want to go back, but is carrying on really worth this? Or if I give up will I feel worse if I know i've wasted 2 years of my life?  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

can you defer some modules and take a little longer in finishing?

The OU are very understanding in my situation of disability.

• Posted

thank you for repying, I hadn't even considered this as an option so will definitely go and speak to my head of year in the next few days. 
  • Posted

You have far from wasted 2 years of your life you will have learned so much firstly why are you depressed that is what you have to get passed if it is just the stress of uni then slow yourself down spend just 1 hour a day without doing or thinking about anything or go back to your gp and ask maybe to see a councillor about whatever has made you depressed your medication shoud be working but perhaps that may need changing also find something new to do to maybe get some motivation back into your life it is something I should do but I feel not ready yet but thats my depression and mine to deal with please dont drop out as you say you wont go back I dont think you would want to regret it later in life focus on why you are in uni and what you want after and it all should seem worthwhile if you remember why you started in tje first place and regain focus towards your goals in life please take care message me if you need to I will always listen and try to help if I have helped lol
    • Posted

thank you for replying, this has really made me rethink some things. I do need to give myself the hour especially as i have been neglecting my mediations which were so useful to me. I am also considering going back to see a counsellor as it is just so useful to have some to talk to and I will also talk to my head of year and tutors for extra help and advice. 
    • Posted

If you just need anyone to talk to you can pm me anytime and I will listen and try and help 

take care

• Posted

Hi Eleanor! I'm in my third year too. I have anxiety, and the depression kickstarted at the end of summer when things started to get bad. I've been offered the option of going part time and potentially graduating January 2016 instead. Then I'll have a bit of work to keep me distracted, but not so much that it'll be overwhelming and I can't concentrate. To be honest I'm still undecided because I want to graduate with my friends and don't want to explain to everyone, but then again I'm scared of graduating anyway.. 
    • Posted

It's so reassuring to hear that i'm not the only one going through the same problems. Having to tell other people is definitely one of the worst things, i feel as though i'm talking about someone else. But thank you for the suggestion of doing the course part time and I am going to speak to my head of year in the next few days. Goodluck with your course!
    • Posted

It's reassuring for me too! Yeah it's hard telling people, sometimes it feels like I'm talking about someone else too, or when I start talking about things it's like a sudden realization and makes it all sink in after ignoring it for so long. Good luck with your course too! What are you studying? 
    • Posted

I know sometimes you don't know whether to keep on distracting yourself from it. Architecture! what about you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.