How soon after an ovarian cystectomy can I return to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I realize this isn't about a hysterectomy, but its the most relative category I could choose from as far as surgical procedures go. On Friday last week (Dec. 7th) I had a large cyst removed from my right ovary. It was a hemhorraging derrmoid cyst. Originally they were performing the laparoscopic surgery to check for signs of endometriosis. They didn't find any signs of it thankfully but did find the cyst. Its been four days and i am still in a lot of pain. Getting up to do anything is a struggle. I told my boss I would be back at work today but i had to message her and tell her this morning I cant. How soon can I return to work? I guess I was expecting to feel better by now, and i just started working at my job last week, so I don't want to look bad to them. Any advice? Going to the bathroom is so painful it brings me to tears, and when I walk I have to hunch over.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention what I do for work which I am sure is important. I work as a funeral directors assistant which is mostly work done while sitting at a desk, but sitting up in a chair hurts too, and I have to stand up for greet families as they come in, arrange files, and perform basic cleaning duties.

• Posted

Marie I'm so sorry you are experiencing so much pain. I would definitely talk to your doctor to make sure that the symptoms you are experiencing are "normal". They should also be able to give you an idea of when you should be able to go back to work. listen to your body. if something doesnt feel right talk to your doctor right away dont let it go.if you are having trouble with constipation Senna laxative/stool softener was a life saver when I was recovering from my surgeries.

• Posted

Hi Marie, definitely talk to your consultant. they aught to give you directives as to what you should expect and recovery timelines. Apart from that listen to the signals from your body as Robin suggested. It is your greatest indicator. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.