How soon after shoulder surgery can one drive?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a month post rotator cuff surgery. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how soon one can drive an automatic car after surgery????

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think the normal recommendation is six weeks after surgery and when the sling has been removed. What did your surgeon say?
  • Posted

As I had full range of movement I was advised at around 5 weeks that I could drive.  However as it meant changing gear using my dominant arm, it was very uncomfortable.  At eleven weeks it still isn't great but better.  I would have thought an automatic to be a lot easier.
  • Posted

I waited for six weeks until the immobilizer was removed. I tried to drive before that but could not get my seat belt buckled. Even though I am driving now, it is still difficult to put the gear in reverse since I am unable to move my arm yet. I know that the other criteria is to make sure you are not taking strong pain medication that may interfere with your ability to drive safely!
  • Posted

Hi I'm now 3 mths post op and still not driving. I've been told until I can swing my arm from left to right as in rotating the steering wheel I shouldn't be driving as my insurance will be invalid. Sorry to sound negative.
  • Posted

Hello yes I agree with Jane Iam now awaiting my third surgery this year and the first time I ended up having to ring my insurance as my Doctor and physio kept saying that when I was comfortable I could drive my insurance said 3 months but only with full movement and recovery as I would not be covered otherwise worth giving your insurance company a ring to get the right info as Doctors and Physios will not commit only you will be able to tell if you are safe,you can trundle along all slow at 20 miles per hour but if another bumps into you are you are not fully recovered then hang onto those purse strings it could be expensive 
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice I will ring my insurance company .I am not sure if they all have the same policies over when can drive again?
    • Posted

Hi at least you will get the correct information. You'll be surprised how your arm aches the first time. I've driven on private land as my battery went flat and kept setting the alarm off. Boy it throbbed the next day. I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.