How soon can you exercise after poem procedure, since muscles were cut? I can't get a decent answer

Posted , 4 users are following.

My poem was done almost a week ago..I return to work next Monday...the only instructions everyone is stuck on is not lifting anything over 5 Lbs for a week... When can I do Zumba again and stomach exercises since a muscle was cut? Anyone let me know...

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

Here that you heal right before bouncing your gut around. This i major esphogus surgery and I myself wouldn't want to have it fixed.

So I give it 6 WS thats a protocall for a body to heal .

Good luck!

• Posted

My Heller Myotomy & Fundoplication were done in Nov. 2016; a balloon dilation in March 2017.  Remember, that you are healing from the inside out.  About 3 days after surgery, I resumed my walking routine, but only for 10 minutes, each time, and spaced this over about 10 days until it was back to my normal 30 minutes each time.  I also do morning stretches, when I get up, for 20 minutes.  These include abdominal stretches.  I did not resume doing this until 6 weeks after surgery.  You really do not want to aggravate the surgery areas...you need to heal.  After 6 weeks you should be able to resume your exercises, but go into this gently and slowly.  You have the rest of your life to exercise!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the info...I just needed an exact answer...with my being a nurse...they did my procedure at a so-called top of the line hospital but no one gave me decent discharge instructions..every nurse I had said they never cared for a poem patient...I wasn't even on a GI floor...

• Posted

Achalasia is a very rare disorder, and many, including doctors, have never heard of it.  I was told that if a doctor sees one patient with Achalasia, in their entire career, that is something.  Anyway, when I had my surgery, I was sent home the same day.  Really do think that the quick discharges are so people can avoid getting those super-bugs that are around.  I was simply in Day Surgery [Canada].  In the UK, I believe the hospital stay for this surgery is 2-3 days.
    • Posted

Mine was overnight since I had general sedation...I also had a CT scan that morning to make sure I didn't have a leak...and I got Dilaudid I V around the clock...once I was discharged I started extra strength Tylenol and zofran ...not a druggie but I loved that feeling...That bill tho...OMG!!!

• Posted

They didn't send any with me...I took it while I was an inpatient... I probably could have done without it...I wanted to sleep...I'm ready for my soft diet Friday morning...

• Posted

When you start to eat again on Friday, take it easy.  Small portions, 'graze' during the day...consider drinking a nutritional supplement a couple of times a day [high protein].

• Posted

Hey did you have to do clear liquid for 1 week? Or did you advance earlier...I just ate my chicken noodle broth and I want to eat these soft noodles sooo bad...seems like 1 day shouldn't make a difference 

• Posted

If you eat the noodles, chew them first in your mouth so that they dissolve and then wash down...or, on second thought, drink the broth and leave the noodles; you don't want to run the risk of the noodles congealing down by the sphincter muscle.  Yes, I was on clear liquids for about 2 weeks after my Heller Myotomy....this too shall pass....  then you graduate on to soft foods. 

• Posted

Thanks...I didn't eat them...I wanted too...I can go to soft mushy foods Friday...and I'm used to the protein shakes and a handful of food anyway because that's all I could get down...the only time I would overeat is if I got too hungry and that's really a disaster..nothing stays...

• Posted

The journey we take with Achalasia is one of 'trial and error.'  Sounds like you still have some movement in your esophagus, and perhaps you are either type 2 or 3.  If I even attempt to overeat [doesn't happen], everything sits in the esophagus and I feel the water on top, at the back of my throat.  This all, eventually [hours later] slowly moves down, when that darned muscle decides to open a little.  Friday is only a couple of days away.  Puddings are nice...so is pureed, warm soup...

• Posted

GM...I enjoyed my soft foods this morning...I make sure my servings are only a cup full and I actually measure them...lol...I think my stomach has shrank from eating baby portions for over a year...I get hungry like every 2-3 hours tho...I'm doing just fine...thanks for your info again...

• Posted

Don't you have clips in your Throat holding the incision closed. I had 6 . They fall off in 3-6 weeks. I wouldn't want them falling off before it's time and start bleeding internally. I think Zumba should wait a few weeks and ask your doctor. Good luck

• Posted

I just couldn't get an answer from the nurses or doctor... I can wait I just like clarity...I'm almost scared to have a BM...sorry to be gross!!! I did eat me some grits with sausage crumbled in it..for lunch I want mashed potatoes and shrimp....that's one of the meats I never had problems eating for some reason...I won't try any of the good meats for weeks ...I am terrified they won't go down..like ribs,chicken...terrified!!! 

• Posted

Oh dear....you probably should slow down a little with introducing the solid food.  Like yourself, prior to surgery, I was on soft/mushy/pureed food, and then a liquid diet.  You have to introduce food back into your diet, slowly.  One new thing at a time, so that you will figure out what will work and what won't.  That's the 'trial and error' thing about Achalasia.  I would suggest you stick to soft/mushy/pureed for at least a week.  You will be eating in a new way.  As for the BM, it needs to happen!!  I actually put prune juice in water.  The other thing that was suggested, and has been a God-send to me, is Restoralax.  It is not a laxative, but keeps things 'soft'.   Right now, 'meat' will be a little hard for your system to handle.  Remember, very small [baby-sized] portions, several times a day, and 'graze,' in between.  Drink some high-protein nutrition supplement shakes/drinks, to make sure you are getting vitamins, etc.  Whatever you put in your mouth, wash down with water, or some other liquids.

• Posted

Also, when you eat meat, make sure its in gravy or a sauce, and that the meat is 'soft' in texture. Again, very small portions.

• Posted

I am about to drink a protein shake now...I won't be trying meat except crumbled sausage patty or shrimp for a while...I break them into tiny pieces and mix them on moist foods liked mashed potatoes or grits...if I don't have a B M that brings that chest pain like the pressure of that sphincter 

• Posted

Buy some Restoralax!  I''m wondering what the texture of 'grits' is like?  You will find that for awhile at least, you need to have food that 'dissolves' in your mouth, and then is washed down with liquid.  Be kind to that sphincter muscle, that just had surgery.  For example, I am now 9 months post-surgery, and I cannot eat foods that are chewy.., or bread, as they 'congeal' in the esophagus and block the muscle.  What 'type' of Achalasia do you have?

• Posted

I was never told what type I had...grits is soupy and you can feed that to a baby with no teeth...I also couldn't resist some cheese puffs yesterday...they melt in your mouth so no problem there..babies eat those too..I'll  find me some restoralax too..

• Posted

Okay, please go gently for this first week.  Cheese puffs right now, might be too rich for your system, and they might 'congeal,' and you do not want that, as that will mean a blockage and esophageal spasm.  Soup, puddings, jello, that type of texture at least for this week.  Then start to introduce new things, one at a time.  And leave a couple of days in between the trying of something new, so that if there is some kind of reaction, you will know what 'doesn't' work for you.  9 months post-surgery, I am still in 'trial and error.'  Bitter dark chocolate, helps that muscle to relax a bit.  I believe it is the flavonoids in the chocolate.  Most of us with Achalasia have dark chocolate handy.  I find it soothing.  I guess what I am saying, is right now, don't overwhelm the esophagus/sphincter muscle, as there has just been surgery in there, and your insides are healing, and are probably still a little swollen inside.

• Posted

Thanks a lot...I seem hard -headed but I am taking in all your good advice
    • Posted

You are definitely not 'hard-headed!'  This journey is all new to you, as it was to all the rest of us!  My GP told me that I had to forget the old way of eating, as I would be eating in a new way; a new 'normal,' for me.  That is the 'trial and error.'  And there have been plenty of 'errors.'  You will reach a stage of management, but that takes awhile. 

• Posted

I changed my mind about the shrimp today..mashed potatoes it is..as soon as I started to drink that shake a bad spasm started..I was able to walk and breathe it away ..I drank a whole bottle of water to rinse it thru...I hate those spasms
    • Posted

Wise woman.  Slow and gentle...take your time to get back to eating.  As you experienced, if you don't, your body will let you know, and not always in a good way!  Basically, I went in reverse after surgery.  Months before surgery, I was on a pureed/soft/mushy diet, and then a month before I could only handle liquids.  So, post-surgery, I was liquids for a week, then moved into the pureed/soft/mushy, and then as I felt I could, I began to try some foods that were a little more solid, all the while drinking copious amounts of water [since my esophagus is paralyzed].  Its a 'new day' for you and your esophagus/sphincter muscle.  You will learn how to be 'friends' to each other, as you walk this journey.

• Posted

Sheila, it's not being gross. If you take miralax at night in a cup of tea or coffee it will calm your nerves about that issue and no side effects. I would wait minimum 3 weeks from your surgery date . When you do start regular food use very small bites and chew like crazy . To start out nothing over a half inch then progress slowly. Before you realize it you'll be eating all your favorite foods but if you rush and mess it up you process will take forever. If you exercise all the time I assume you know your body and you'll know when you're ready for real food. I'm heading in for my third surgery on the esophagus in one year on Thursday so I pray this doctor knows his stuff cause the last one belongs behind bars.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.