How soon can you get an appointment on the NHS for gastroscopy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm getting pain in my oesphagus when eating, doctor has put me on acid reflux tablets which iv been taking for a week but not helping the pain. I'm thinking of getting a gastroscopy done as I can't bear the pain. is it best to go private or on the NHS? How long will it take to get an appointment?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

At the moment unless it is an emergency, you will have difficulties. Private hospitals have been handed over to the NHS so you probably wouldn't be able to get an appointment for quite a while. You have to make a telephone appointment with your gp, tell them what is wrong and then go from there, but I would take a guess it will be a long time. You could try phoning your local private hospital to see if they are doing this procedure at the moment, but I highly doubt it.

• Posted

Hi asif

You will possibly need a higher dose of medication. You don't say what your medication is or what dose. You can also take GAVISCON ADVANCE which works better than the standard Gaviscon.

Speak to your GP again explain that the medication you were prescribed is not working. (should have started to work by now) if it was the correct dose. Your GP can request a two week referral they do it as a cancer referral even though they don't suspect it but it's the quickest way. Your GP and local hospital may not do it that way, mine does. It could mean it's a few weeks of medication or like me it's a lifetime of medication and tests. You soon realise what you can and can't eat. Melon is one of the worst fruits.

I wish you good luck and come back and let us know how to get on.

Noonoo

• Posted

hi asif

my wife has endoscopy shes in more pain now than before we think the dr hit a nerve when taking a sample.

dont waste your time on private all the dr are treating covid.

and the normal dr dosent know wgat wrong with her.

its a endless viciuos circle.

hope you sort it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.