How soon can you safely run a little after hip replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi,

I'm not a "runner" but occasionally may run say for example to catch my rabbit or something and also may wish to play pickleball doubles for 30 min to an hour- nothing heavy.  I'm early 50's about weight proportionate but lightly built//muscled.  I'm still early in the game- can now just walk normall without crutches after 4 weeks or 20 days since out of bed (was dizzy at first).  Soon as I can run, I can get to socialize far more, so very curious..estimate its at 6 months more when stem is fully fused but don't know medical recommendation.  -

4 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Rach replaced hip only has so many miles before a revision is needed. I think everyone should take that into account when planning their future activities. It may not be an issue for someone in their mid 70's but at 48 years old I am interested in these new hips lasting as long as possible. My marathon days are behind me and although I plan on continuing to hike, hiking the Appalachian Trail is not worth it.

• Posted

Couldn't agree more. I'm not going to be running any more marathons either but at 66 i think I'm happy to risk some 10ks eventually! Off road and wearing Hokas (and slower than a slow thing) my surgeon doesn't think I'll come to any harm. I think if you're very fit and your 70s though... you have to live the life you want.

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

So, so slowly jog on. My first hip is 16 years old, my second is 16 months old, and i've just done my first 5K race. slow but sure

good luck

mic

x

• Posted

I'm interested in these replies, 45 very keen long distance runner and told recently I need bilateral replacements and I won't be able to run after at all as I'll have ceramics.. anyone else experience of this?

• Posted

My surgeon (who is himself a runner) put in a ceramic ball specifically because it is hard wearing and will enable me to run. I'm older though so I guess you have a choice when you're younger - run and risk having to have a revision at some point, or give up running to make it last a bit longer. I know which I'm going to choose but then as I've said I'm 66 So for me it's worth it to do something I love.

• Posted

Hi again,

One titanium and one ceramic...and 5K is a lovely distance

Go for it if you can and physio is in place if needed

Mic

Exeter

X

• Posted

Hello Mic. 

Spoke to physio today about running. She says wait until about February but is sure I'll be ok by then. I'm volunteering at parkrun until then! 

• Posted

Too true, life is for living and doing the things you love.  Are you still running?  I have set up a facebook group 'Hip Replacement group for Active people' if you're interested.

• Posted

Hi MMoo,

Des Walsh here I am 63 years old.

It appears that doctors differ. The first surgeon I saw was going to do a posterior approach and he said that I would never be able to race or run again, After doing some research I found a professor that does the Anterior approach and he is very confident in his ability to do a good job and has encouraged me to compete.  

I had my first Anterior approach THR (left Hip) in Febrary 2016. I competed in the World Masters Athletic Championships here in Perth in October 2016 running in the 100m 14.4, 200m, 29.7,  and 400m 69.6, (I did a lot of running in the 70's and 80's)  I have had my second hip (right hip) replaced Anterior Approach on the 19/09/2017 and I go to the pool for an hour every day I am up to about 50 laps walking and swimming. My surgeon said that "My hip joint will never dislocate I have no restriction but I have to treat it like a broken bone and take it easy for 6 weeks, after 6 weeks it is part of your body and you can treat it like it is your own hip. My prosthesis is ceramic on ceramic and he recons that I will wear out before the new joints wear out. My scar is about 80mm (just over 3 inches) long and was held together with a glue strip which came off after 2 weeks. I can move both my legs better now than I can ever remember.  

I intend to compete in the State (WA) and National athletic Championships next March and April 2018. My surgeon said you have to use it or lose it.

Anyone considering having a THR should seek out the best surgeon get the best prosthesis (ceramic on ceramic) and have it done by Anterior Approach (no muscles cut). Des

• Posted

I am 50, a keen runner and had a hip replacement in June this year.  I set myself the goal of running a half marathon just 3 months later with my surgeon's go ahead.  I started working on strengthening pre-op, and right up until my half marathon.  I am now 4 months post op and have since run 2 x 10km races too.  I think it comes down to listening to your body and working seriously on strengthening.  I think life is for living and I am not ready to give up yet.

• Posted

Hi...will join the group TY.

Am not ready to die yet!

OK not rmserioysly run for 20 yrs but as a hippy am returnung.

First Parkrun 51 min...8th 41 min. Think of 38 as target.

Warmly

Mic

• Posted

Hi Wendelin,

Des Walsh here I am 63 years old.

It appears that doctors differ. The first surgeon I saw was going to do a posterior approach and he said that I would never be able to race or run again, After doing some research I found a professor that does the Anterior approach and he is very confident in his ability to do a good job and has encouraged me to compete.  

I had my first Anterior approach THR (left Hip) in Febrary 2016. I competed in the World Masters Athletic Championships here in Perth in October 2016 running in the 100m 14.4, 200m, 29.7,  and 400m 69.6, (I did a lot of running in the 70's and 80's)  I have had my second hip (right hip) replaced Anterior Approach on the 19/09/2017 and I go to the pool for an hour every day I am up to about 50 laps walking and swimming. My surgeon said that "My hip joint will never dislocate I have no restriction but I have to treat it like a broken bone and take it easy for 6 weeks, after 6 weeks it is part of your body and you can treat it like it is your own hip. My prosthesis is ceramic on ceramic and he recons that I will wear out before the new joints wear out. My scar is about 80mm (just over 3 inches) long and was held together with a glue strip which came off after 2 weeks. I can move both my legs better now than I can ever remember.  

I intend to compete in the State (WA) and National athletic Championships next March and April 2018. My surgeon said you have to use it or lose it.

Anyone considering having a THR should seek out the best surgeon get the best prosthesis (ceramic on ceramic) and have it done by Anterior Approach (no muscles cut). Des

• Posted

Wow you guys are an inspiration...I am due to have a hip replacement in January and I run a lot, 5-10K, ski, horse ride - generally very active. I have read so many negative posts about hip replacements that I was beginning to wonder if I am actually doing the right thing and beginning to back out (but would then be left in constant pain) - but reading this has really inspired me - I have been really positive and always challenge myself - so was aiming for a fast recover!!!  but reading some of the comments about legs being much shorter and cannot move I had began to worry a lot!
    • Posted

Hi!

Can't spend long on this as just back from gym and have work client this pm. Then there's the 5K Parkrun next saturday and want a better time. Need to get hour with PT and a morning jog in before that too .

Eat wirk play exercise and rest. This is life aplenty post hip ops

Mic

X

• Posted

Hi All, 

Finding these reports really helpful, as I searched today for ''running after THR''. I haven't had my R hip replaced yet bit it's seriously worn out and been told by my Consultant Orthopod,that i need this doing. Had my first xray guided injection two weeks ago, limited relief and still struggling, it's been getting worse last 4-6 months.      I've been a (mainly) fell and trail/xcountry runner for 30 odd years , long  and shorter distances, some Ultras, I'm 62. Lightweight for my 6' . Managed a couple of trail and fell races earlier this year, then it's been the local Parkrun, which I love(Lancaster) Last 6 weeks the pains been too much so have been marshalling same( Great fun to support others) But I'm missing running and a bit despondent .Despite swimming/cycling.   SO pleased to read your accounts of what you'ver all been up to post-op. I'm seeing Consultant early January and will go there feeling much happier about the future! Thank you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.