How soon do you know if the treatment is working? (graphs included)

Posted , 2 users are following.

How do you know if scabies treatment is working?

I Imagine people fall into these categories of responses to treatments:

IDEAL

• Applied permethrin (or any other treatment) overnight, and the next day or two rashes and bites were gone.

TYPICAL

• Did a treatment regimen and next day or two, had less rashes/bites - had immediate response but not eradicating completely.
  • Infection slowly decreasing over next few days, eventually eradicating the infection, b/c the treatment was working you stuck to it.

UNSURE

• The Scabies goes in cycles of reproduction so every 1.5-2 days you'll feel more bites.
  • But if you have the right treatment would you not feel this wave of bites?
  • How long do you wait until you can tell something is working? (2-3 days?)
  • This is the category I'm in and I wanted to make sure I give each treatment option enough time before I try something else but also not stick with something that's not working. I have a low-grade infection, been able to get rid of most of the rashes but now just feel the bites happen.

**** My story ****

• I've had this infection for a year and yes I've been able to get rid of the rashes but now just have bites that I feel. But I've been so resistant to every treatment I've tried. The bites might go away but like half a day later they come back, indicating mites just hide until its safe for them to re-emerge.
  • Permethrin/Malathion - doesn't kill them, but mobilizes them so I use it with my soap
  • Ivermectin - helped initially when had severe scabies, but became resistant even after using it for a month daily.
  • Tea tree oil, neem oil, mineral oil, all the oils- I've put all of these 100% directly on my skin for 2-3 days without any feeling of decreased bites.
  • Sulfur - tried this multiple times and doing this right now with sulfur powder. It slows them down so they don't spread so quickly, but I don't know if it's actually doing anything to them. I still feel the bites every day in the same spots....
  • Peroxide - initially worked but started to need higher concentrations which started to become intolerable (stinging). I don't do baths b/c it just goes to my face/hair which is a hassle to treat.
  • Vinegar/Salt- kept it on for 2-3 hours a day, doesn't seem to help or I can't tell b/c bites come back.
  • DMSO - only thing that worked for me and used it for spot treatment to burn them off. Now since I don't have rashes and only bites, it's harder to treat them. Also might be slowly getting resistant to it.
  • Clove oil, Killitch - even if I put this directly on the bites, I still feel the same bites the next day! I don't understand how they're so resistant
  • DE - Didn't do anything for me. Still felt bites, same area, slowly increasing after 3-4 days,
  • Heat - tried really hot bath and hair dryer but no success and can't tolerate long enough. Trust me I tried really hot baths. Seems to work for hands/feet better than thicker skin areas like thighs/buttocks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello , how good are you cleaning your house and living area ? the say without those being cleaned and i mean CLEANED they can always just jump from one bed sheet or shirt to another and back on to you

it seems like your taking the right approach , use the permetherin cream once, i applied it generously to my entire body after a shower, waited 24 hours then took a shower, then you reapply it in 7 days because the thing thats so resistant is the larva its hidden deep in the skin and has its shell. so after those hatch is usually 7 days

also in between that i recommend showering with 10% sulphur soap, turn off the water and soak it in for a few minutes then rinse off with regular soap

also keep your skin hydrated because itll dry it right up , i believe i had some clove oil, that you can mix in with a regular lotion

its also kmportant to know that the reason for the bites and rashes is yes when they bite but from what i read the insane itch comes from their feces and bodies in general, especially after one is dead and uour body is trying to absorb and get rid of it , so even with the permetherin you will still be highly itchy for 4-6 weeks AFTER the mites are dead because it takes a very long time for our bodies to get rid of them since theyre so toxic to us

but the most important thing is to clean , vigerous cleaning with chemicals and id also recommend some lice killer spray you can buy at any bigger store bed bathrooms, doorknobs, kitchen, clothes, your car, seats steering wheel etc

also dont lose hope , this is a winnable battle although at times it doesnt feel like it, weve all been in that position but just keep trying and have faith and you will beat these evil things. permetherin absolutely kills these mites, along with all those other mentioned products, just remember youll still be itchy for a couple months after theyve died since your body is trying to absorb and get rid of them, and also remember to re clean yiur entire house and living area / working area too.

so to sum it up 1 permetherin application for 24 hours followed by 1 more dose in a week,

along with sulphur soap 10 % showers ( you can buy online) ivermectin , clove oils , a couple of months, and faith and you should be fine! (:

• Posted

HI, thank you for your input.

In terms of cleaning the environment, I've got that pretty much down to the details. I boil all my clothes, I never use the same towel, clothes, bedsheet. Every electronic or leather chair I use I wipe down, etc.

I've used permethrin pretty frequently for the past year. At first I did what was conventional, once a week. It didn't work so I used it almost every other day for about 1- 2 weeks. While it seems to mobilize the scabies (increase the bites and it seems to spread out to other places on my body), it never actually seems to kill it.

I thought about post-scabies syndrome but what goes against it is that it's not so much the itching but it's actual sharp-focal bites. If I leave it alone, it turns into a typical scabies-like bump/rash.

With my showers, I've been trying to cycle between sulfur and vinegar before and washing it off. All my shampoo/soap has permethrin mixed into it also. After the shower, I'll do spot treatment with DMSO (that'll kill focal lesions if I can see them), then lather myself with either Neem oil, or permethrin, or killitch.

As of now, i'm just cycling through these different remedies and keeping it abate until I can find a definitive cure.... I'm also taking ivermecting 2-3 days every week. While this definitely keep the count low, it doesn't seem to get rid of them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the encouragement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.