How successful is a pessary

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so had my appointment today and now know I have a problem in all three area's and have had a pessary fitted!

this is good news as I mentioned in my previous post my husband needs a new hip and is seeing his consultant on Wedesday!

i am wondering how successful the use of a pessary is, not the ring but one that I can only describe as the hook used to hold a tea cloth on!

i have a four month trial with it, and wondered if it might be a long term solution!

not happy about having to have decaf tea and having to give up my oranges, I am a real tea ( leaves ) person, but will do anything I can if it means I can avoid surgery.

has anyone had a good success rate with a pessary!

oh and should I still avoid lifting, I forgot to ask

thak you

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was told to avoid heavy lifting but that was an impossibility when my job involved heavy lifting. I was shown by a physio how to breathe properly when lifting . Exhale when about to lift an object. Inhale when you put the object down.

Have you been shown how to take the pessary in and out?

• Posted

I had the ring one fitted then a one that look similar to a Frisbee. Both were ok, but slipped a little when exercising which made them a bit uncomfortable until I pushed them back into position. On my third appointment I said that I'd been coping alright but still felt the heaviness and lower back pain and that it felt like it was coming out all the time. She then examined me while I was standing up and noticed I had a rectocele. Which made more sense as I didn't have the urge to pee all the time. She discussed surgery with me and I'm glad I've had it done.

Really though it's an individual choice. If it works for you then that is all that matters. Me I tried it for 18 months and it did ok but I chose the surgical route in the end.

• Posted

As long as it gets me through till my husband is sorted out with his hip then I will be happy.

glad you had a good result with the op

• Posted

I hope it works for you. If that one doesn't they have all different shapes and sizes so don't be afraid to ask for a different one. x
    • Posted

No I didn't. I wasn't running to the loo all the time. So not cut them out. My bowels were the problem although I have just realised this since the Op. When I needed to go I had to find a toilet quick this though I put down to taking Metformin for my Diabetes which van have strange affects on your stomach
  • Posted

I am 56, had hyerectomy and anterior repair in oct 2014, by jan 2015 i had prolapse back anterior and posterior.

​tried ring and shelf pessary. (yours sounds like shelf) but no i have a Gelhorn. I can take it in and out myself. The pessary was working well when i eventually got right one fitted. though had bad cough and cold recently and that has aggravated things.

​I was told not to lift anything over 5 kilos. ( frustrating with young grandchildren).

​i have cut down on cafeine  but still have 2 or 3 a day.

​I was refered to Liverpool womens hosp for possible surgery and saw consultant in feb 2015. but she has been off sick since then so not had another apt. i think it is getting worse and mesh repair is my next option which i would rather avoid!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Ruth.

I will be very careful not to lift, but do forget sometimes!

I hope you get an appointment and get things sorted out soon!

First cup of caffeine free tea this morning, I am just going to have to get used to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

A couple of days on and not sure how I am supposed to feel.

not exactly comfortable is this how I should feel?

• Posted

No it sounds like it's the wrong size. You shouldn't be able to feel it. Ring the consultants secretary . They will sort something for you
    • Posted

I don't want to make a fuss, it is mostly when sitting on the toilet and a hard chair, not sure if it is all in my head!
    • Posted

You wouldn't be making a fuss. There is no point being uncomfortable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.