Posted , 5 users are following.
after some advice as to how to proceed.
Ive had an appointment with a NS privately who has told me "I can have the decompression op if I want it". He didn't give me any indication as to whether he thinks I should have it or not or if it is medically recommended.
Now I totally get it has to be my decision but he gave me little confidence as to his chiari knowledge. I asked how many ops he had done and he wouldn't give me a straight answer just telling me that they do 100's of ops for similar things like tumours etc where they have to open the dura.
Finally he he told me they do possibly 10-15 of these procedures a year at this hospital but still didn't tell me how many he does personally.
He he may be very capable but the one thing I get from all the experiences from people is you have to confident with your NS and I am just not and don't feel I am in a position to make the decision on surgery ask just haven't been given enough information about the surgery, the process, the risks, etc. and same goes for not having it, none of the risks were explained I was just told it may be further damage. I wasn't told what type damage could happen or what the chances are or anything.
I have a NHS appt with a NL in February as I didint cancel this when I went private. I want to see another NS that is experienced in Chiari am I best to keep this appt or go back to my GP and ask for referral direct to NS ?
INFO : I've had brain MRI and Cine MRI for CSF, it shows Chiari ( don't know measurement as I haven't been told ) and significant flow reduction to the posterior fossa. I only know this as it was in the referral letter form the NL. The surgeon did not tell me this. I ave also been sent for a full spine MRI after some persistence about some other symptoms.
My my main symptoms are valsalva headaches. I have others but this is the main concern.
0 likes, 36 replies