How to avoid fainting during attacks?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with PF and had my first major attack 2 weeks ago. It woke me upp, then made me unconscious while being in the bathroom. Suddenly I found myself lying on the stone floor with an enormous bump around my right eyebrow, then passed out once more. The whole thing lasted 22 mins. Since that I have had a spectacular swollen dark purple eye (which prevents me from leaving my house if I don´t have to) and now it's spreading around the other eye as well- and the cramp is on all the time, although much less painful compared to that night. Right now my problem is really how to avoid fainting next time I have an attack. Its really scary to lose consciousness and fall helplessly on your face on a tile floor, especially since I live alone most of the time. I did´n t even experience horrible pain, just very hard cramps, anxiety and cold sweat - and then, BAM! I'm on the floor. I have almost fainted from rectal pain before but that pain was much more intense than this (hemorrhoid procedure caused it). Is it usual to faint from PF even when the pain hasn´t become overwhelming? How do you cope with it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Someone in this group said they had fainted whilst in hospital and blood pressure was very low - they were on a monitor. I have blacked out twice but if I get my head lower than my heart when the cold sweats come I can avoid it. 

By the way I have not had a severe attack since using the pinch method suggested on here. Been a few months now!

• Posted

So, if by the time the bar closes & you feel like falling down, I'll carry you home tonight...

• Posted

Yea pinching hard beneath the nose & upper lip, actually just right at the bottom of ur nose there's a nerve there. Usually stops the attack dead in it's tracks or dulls the pain enormously if you pinch & hold. Pinch tightly & hold. Give it a minute & you'll feel it begin to work

• Posted

I'm the unlucky type that gets the worst of the worst attacks possible to man. Wakes me from a dead sleep every 6 weeks like clockwork. Pain so unbearable it's unfathomable. Lasts for 2 hrs just sitting on the toilet screaming the pain is so unbearable. Pain gets so bad it will knock me unconscious at times. The pinch method is the only method that has EVER brought any kind of relief whatsoever... Good luck w/ this monster. I'll pray for you friend...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.