How to avoid weight gain and puffy cheeks on prednisone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im starting a 30 mg treatment of presnisone for crohn flare up, how can i avoid to gain weight and not have those puffy cheeks.

Thanks you

Annie

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

A lot of us on another forum have avoided weight gain and even lost weight while on long term pred (we're talking years on pred here) by cutting carbs drastically. Pred changes the way your body processes carbs and also causes your liver to release random spikes of glucose into the blood. By cutting carbs you avoid the spikes due to them and reduce the number of spikes of insulin and amount of excess insulin - and that is what causes the deposition of fat when on pred.

I assume though you are on a relatively short course of pred? In that case the weight will go away again - but avoiding it in the first place is even better of course!

• Posted

Thank you for your help, yes it's only for 8weeks, lots of sides effects with that drug!sad(

Annie

• Posted

Not necessarily! I've been on it nearly 8 years lol and no end in sight. I don't have a fat face (any more), I could do with losing another 5 kg but there are many people who aren't on pred who could say that. No diabetes, no osteoporosis, my skin is fine (don't use soap on it, really helps the dryness). Without it I'd be in pain - so miserable and bad tempered from that.

With it - I have a life. Without it I wouldn't. You have to hold on to the positives. lol

• Posted

Wow you are very positive, it's true that it helps my crohn's flare up, i can eat and not be in so much pain, im just hoping that when my treatement is over that it will stay like that!biggrin

• Posted

It's just like taking a pill for a headache really - as long as it isn't all the time that's OK too. But even pred on a permanent basis isn't all bad.

• Posted

Greetings.

My daughter is on prednisone for about 4 yrs now.She,probably will have to take it for an indefinite period.( she suffers from MOG positive optic neuritis,part of NMOSD).she  is also on Rituximab.

Please give tips to avoid side effcts of Prednisone.

• Posted

Weight gain can be avoided/reduced by adopting a low carbohydrate diet. This also reduces the chances of developing steroid-induced diabetes. 

Dry/delicate skin can be improved by avoiding using soap products (anything that makes a foam) which just strip the natural oils from skin and make it worse. Many people use the Doublebase or Diprobase products which are often prescribed for eczema - they include cleansing products as well as emollients.

Bone density can be protected without using medications such as bisphosphonates by good diet, appropriate weight-bearing exercise including using a weighted vest, and taking the right supplements.

Really it is easier to give tips for specific problems. However - to a great extent it depends on the dose. In the case of PMR the doses are usually under 10mg/day over longer periods and a study has shown that in fact the long term effects of being on this sort of dose of pred are no worse than effects found in an age-matched population. Also everyone is different - some people have almost no side effects anyway, for others they can be quite a problem. But after 4 years your daughter must be aware of what pred does to her.

And the bottom line is always: whatever the side effects of steroids, the effects of the disorder you are taking them for are usually potentially worse.

• Posted

I managed to avoid the moon face by cutting out glutton and simple carbs. I was really very tough on myself and it worked. I may just have been lucky of course. My GP even commented on it. 
    • Posted

I'm sure cutting out "glutton" would be a great approach ... lol

• Posted

I must have been feeling hungry having cut so much out of my diet!!! 
  • Posted

i have many sideeffects wit predisolone lik moonface steriod induced diabetics cushing s symptoms pls suggest something i m on 10mg dose fr a mnth
    • Posted

I suggest you start a new thread - this is a very old one and won't be seen by many current forum members. I can only say look at my post a few posts back. 

And the bottom line is you have to change your diet, To reduce the steroid-induced diabetes you must cut processed carbs drastically and also higher carb vegetables and fruit - carbohydrate is carbohydrate and becomes sugar. Cutting carbs will help with the weight problem - and as you use up the body fat stores the Cushing's appearance will reduce. Increasing the amount of exercise also helps - it doesn't have to be down the gym, just walking, even in several short amounts per day is a good start and then doing what you can.

There is no magic answer - you have to work at it. But by doing what I've suggested I lost 35lbs of pred associated weight, have never had any sign of diabetes and there is no real physical sign I am on pred, even the doctors agree. Others have done the same.

• Posted

hey if u dont mind can u share me ur diet plan and daily routine pls
    • Posted

I just don't eat carbs except above ground veggies - it's not a "diet plan". As for daily routine - I get on with my normal life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.