How to be prepared for Chiari ?! Before, during and after

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone ! 

Iv’e recently been diagnosed with Chiari in June of this year and since then Iv’e had to stop working and my symptoms just keep getting worse . I finally met my surgeon this month who wants to see me again in two months for a final MRI and discussion on the operation . 

I’m so confused and scared 

1. Im trying to stay away for the internet because it’s full of scary and often untrue information. 

2. I dont know anyone who had this , it’s so uncommon.

That being said, I’m so happy I found this page ! It’s so nice to not feel alone in this . Iv’e recently started to feel like my troat is closing in or like it feels like theres a lot of pressure on it (If that ecen makes sense) have any of you experienced that ? Also I’m wondering if you guys have any tricks or suggestions on what to do to keep the symtoms to a minimum . 

What should I expect from the operation and how should I prepare for afterwards ..?? My whole back is in so much pain now from all the tension in my neck from the Chiari Malformation , sometimes it hurts to just breathe rolleyes .

What are you guyss symptoms and what are your coping mecanisms?? 

Thanks in advance 

Bella 

smile 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi isabella

Everyone on here has a different story as most symptoms are different with chiari, some have the same and after decompression you will find good and bad results, my story is suffered head pressure for yrs before chiari was detected, I'm 62 and have few other things going on, hiatius hernia, bulging disc in back ect... So I'm never sure what's triggering what lol... I do suffer dizziness after op but take medication, I have the choking feeling especially wen I lie on my side, but also get that lump feeling because of acid too...i work part time as a domestic in local hospital, just 3hrs a day, I try to keep moving and rest when not having a good day.. The operation released a lot of the pressure on head, I know it's not a cure just prevents condition getting worse,,, lots have good results after operation so therefore don't come on here, I hope you get plenty feed back on here as I have in past.. Good luck hun x

• Posted

Hi Isabella,

Do not worry so much, as long as you listen to your health care professional and accept your condition, I suffered badly, I ended up being a house bound, I used to blacked out..th e pain all over my body just unbelieveable mostly your head, neck spine and throat, I even thought that I would rather ended my life, but after surgery, all of that symptom disappeared, but recovering from decompression its quite taught (2 -3 mths) but I have my life back now, its also lots of people that I spoke to (they are not on this forum) I met them, they also got their life back..so dont worry..the soonest you have surgery its the better for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.