How to best achieve recovery from PHN?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My concerns it that I'll be that small group that doesn't have a full recovery. Now that we know what I'm dealing with, either a lot of backk/chest pain from acute shingles or early PHN, is there something I can do? So often there are two theories, power through something and suck it up (with reasonable precautions) or really take it easy. I have a sister who's on disability for numerous back surgeries and uses a lot of meds and treatments to deal with her pain. I'm a very active, very healthy 61 y/o woman who  WILL suck it up but also believes in slow, cautious recovery for something like this: it's not a cold or sprained finger. By limiting activity and keeping the pain level low by now aggravating the nerves, doesn't it make sense that this would improve healing? Or is this totally random, that the body and healing will do as it wishes? Do I power through and return to work, no matter how lousy I feel? Or say stop! take care of myself, my health is too important. Any advice.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Apologies for the spelling and my horrid spell checker. I just don't catch it all!

And I taught English at one time!

• Posted

Believe me, I understand. I too am meticulous about spelling, but this is a new world. I'm so sorry you're not sleeping avey, at least I can finally do that. I posted elsewhere that yesterday with just a little bit of activity, I was back to square one, so yes, I'll take it easy.

Merry, I'll stop trying to sort these out, I guess all of this is just part of the process. I tried some more research to see if there's anything else I should be doing, but it seems it's all being done, at least medically. Finding you guys is also a key element.

• Posted

Hi, To help get to sleep and it's working is a brain wave system!  It also helps with stress.  I am not permitted to send the site though!  It is working!  

Now to improve muscle strength while not affecting PHN!  And the pain of course from unused muscles or muscle cramps.  I'm wondering if there is a method to stmulating them without causing exhaustion and cold never appears to help...to the contrary!

Yes, I find this is the best and most accurate information on shingles and PHN.  I try to educate the public and my doctors on shingles.  Media needs to get into the picture!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.