How to Care for My Stitches, Feet and Back Post-Op?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post-op double Scarf Osteotomy with screws in my big toes. Pain subsided after 3 weeks, but my feet are sore and bruised, big toes are stiff and sometimes crack when I walk, is this normal? Stitches though half gone have scabs, skin is dry and slightly inflamed. I don’t walk except to-and-from the bathroom, and feel my muscles are in bad shape from lying down for so long. When can I start walking? Any exercise suggestions for my toes, feet and back? Which oil/ointment to apply to my stitches and bruises? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Loubie1

You had the same operation and I too had both feet done just under 7 weeks ago! I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks in the Darco boots. My feet too where dry and inflamed and bruised and still are now, I would 100% recommend bio oil, it's been a god send! My feet wouldn't stop peeling but using this twice a day has made them lovely and soft! The toe exercises my surgeon gave me where to move my big toe up and down using my fingers 4 times a day until they gradually got looser! This worked wonders! I am now having Physio for scar tissue massage and muscle strengthening! I wish you all the best in your recovery & hope to have helped in any way!

All the best

Kate

• Posted

Bio oil is great for scar you need to flex your toes im 2 weeks post op on my left foot and 4 weeks post op on right foot i walk my dog about half a block and back an back to doing house hold chores
  • Posted

Hi Louble1, I was told "No weight bearing for 6 wks" and I didn't. The scabs and dry skin will benefit from a soak in warm soapy water then pat dry and gently smooth in Bio-Oil - or just as good, but cheaper - E45 Cream. As if by magic the scabs will lift off and the skin on your feet will feel beautifully silky smooth. Try and be patient just another three weeks and then as you gradually increase your walking bit by bit, you will find you'll begin to lose all those bruises, aches, pains and stiffness. I am almost 71 and had my operation with two screws 7 months ago. I am delighted with the result and everything is now GGGREAT - so, hang on in there just a little longer and you'll have a better recovery. Best wishes. LadyPink
  • Posted

Another good exercise for your toes is to hold your other 4 toes steady and try and lift your big toe up as high as possible without pain and then hold it for 10 seconds. Repeat this a few times. Hopefully that makes sense. Also, my ankle was incredibly weak in the beginning, so if yours is weak, you can just flex your ankle and hold that for 10 seconds a few times.

For my back, I would just sit up in a chair and then stretch my arms down to my toes, so I was bent in half. Honestly, it didn't do much. My back hurt until I became more mobile.

I've been using Aquaphor on my incisions.. it's been amazing. I don't know if you have it in the UK though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.