How to clean your wound after tri surgery? Do anyone know?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am three /& half weeks after tri surgery. My splint was removed but I have a boot. And all of a sudden my wound is hurting me real bad. How do I clean the wound? I have six screws.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I also had painful incisions - one of which was prone to breaking open, bleeding and oozing clear liquid.  I debated whether to go to the doctor but it didnt yet seem infected.  What I did do, and what helped it heal up really quickly, was to use dettol wound spray on it daily, then lightly daub any excess away with clean gauze and allow it to air dry before applying clean bandages.  Worked a treat.
    • Posted

PS - I am also a tri-mal fracture and the problems with my ORIF incisions arose 2 weeks after surgery, when I moved into the CAM boot.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you are having pain.  You should probably see your physician as soon as possible to rule out any infection. Also, I had tri surgery with incisions on both sides of my ankle, plates and screws. My wound never really hurt and I never had to clean it. Check with your doctor as soon as possible.  Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

I had the same surgery 7 weeks ago and also had wound pain after going in to the boot. If it is the wound on the outside of your ankle that is hurting my doctor said this isn't uncommon and incisions there can be a bit slower to heal. Mine still isn't healed even now!

My wound did become infected even though I cleaned it regularly so do go and see your doctor to rule this out. I was given saline sachets, sterile gauze and dressings and told to wipe the wound with saline soaked gauze then dry it with fresh gauze before putting on a new dressing. I was told not to get the wound wet whilst showering until it is healed and to change the dressing every 4 days unless it becomes wet on the outside then to do it more frequently. 

I'm not sure if this is why I've had problems but I've found the boot to rub on the wound so have put more padding on that side to rule it out.  

I hope this helps and your wound heals quicker than mine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.