How to come off melatonin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What do you ladies do if you have insomnia? I use bioidentical progesterone and estrogen creams, but I still need the maximum dose of melatonin (10mg) every night to fall asleep. It's frustrating because I desperately want to come off it. I always feel kinda off the next day and I know it's not healthy to keep taking melatonin for months on end! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, melatonin is similar to hrt, in that the body produces it naturally and if you are not making enough, you have problems sleeping. If you are being prescribed it, then your bloodwork must have indicated that you are not producing enough natural melatonin. If you really want to come off it is like any replacement therapy, best to wean off slowly by cutting the dose down over time until you can stop. Never stop anything suddenly. Cold turkey symptoms can be awful so slowly slowly reduce how much you take over time to avoid this from happening. X

• Posted

Thanks Tina. I tried cutting the dose in half but even with 5mg I can't fall asleep. Then I just end up taking the other half later at night. It's so frustrating to be dependent on something. I'm looking at alternatives like GABA and 5-HTP because I read that they might help. I'm already taking Magnesium before bed. 

• Posted

Hi again , the fact that you can't sleep on a half dose implies to me that you are in need of a top up as you are not making enough of your own. My sons had melatonin supplement for approx 3/ 4 years when they were young due to adhd and they were unable to wind down and sleep. They grew out of it and it became obvious that their own melatonin production normalised and so they began to sleep too much. Time to reduce and stop the prescription melatonin. I cut the dose in half, then every other day, then every couple of days and so on. They have no sleep issues in adulthood. So you may need it long term the only one who can tell you is your Dr and I suggest very strongly you discuss it with them. X

• Posted

Hi,

if you are wanting to come off it you could cut down 1mg at a time.

Take 9mg for say 3 months 

Then 8mg for another 3 months and so.

Don't take too big a step all of a sudden.

Take it easy.

Take it gently.

No need to rush and you’ll get there.

All the very best

• Posted

Thanks so much Lizzie, this gives me comfort! It'll be hard to cut the pill by 1mg since it has a smooth surface, but I'll try to reduce little by little. Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.