How to come off pregabalin 100mg daily - safely

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking two 50mg capsules every evening (100mg in total) for restless legs at night for just over seven months now. However, they make me feel really 'stoned' in the evening and unsteady on my feet, and I am worried about their effect on my balance and the prospect of falling in the house, given that I live on my own. For this reason, I would like to come off pregabalin, and see how I go on with the restless legs.

I know that this is not a drug that you can just 'stop', and would like to know how to titrate down, and eventually stop taking it please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Badga,

You are absolutely right, these cannot be just stopped - no way. Some of the withdrawal effects can be down right horrible. Just an extra cautionary note that if you are prone to depression, then you need to be aware of the thoughts that one can have during withdrawal. You need to be strong in telling yourself that it is just the drug and it will pass.

One thing that helped me was a chap on YouTube and you need this guy!! Go to Google right now and type in "andy bailey pregabalin" and at the top will be his videos. He is so funny, but serious with it. He gives a lift when you need it. I must have watched his videos so many times during my withdrawal.

Regarding the withdrawal itself, you need to go one step at a time. I would first suggest you switch to taking 50mg every 12 hours. This will lower the peak effect slightly, but more of an even spread will help the withdrawal. Then drop to 25mg in the evening but stay on 50mg in the morning. Stabalise each time you drop. Then 25mg morning and evening, then 25mg morning, and TRY without in the evening. If that becomes a problem then it will be a good time to get microscales and go slower. If that happens, come back and I will help you further.

Hope that gets you off to a good start, and expect a few weeks to settle between doses. There is no prize for first place... withdrawal is a marathon, NOT a race!

God Bless

Matt

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Matts4912. I do not suffer with depression or anxiety. I am prescribed pregabalin for restless legs to be taken once a day in the evening. I do not need to take it during the day, as restless legs occurs at night. I therefore would not want to go start taking it during the day, especially as it makes me feel so wobbly, which is why I want to wean off it. Do you know how I should titrate down the evening dose please?

• Posted

The problem with Pregabalin is that the half life is around 8-10 hours which means that within that time, only 50% is left in your system, thus after 24 hours, only 25%, and it is during this period of 25-50% that you feel really lousy, which is why it is suggested to split the dose even if you have been taking it daily as it will minimise the effects of the withdrawal.

If it makes you drowsy then I would drop to 75mg in the evening, stabalise, then 50mg in the evening, stabalise, THEN switch to 25mg split morning/evening as 25mg will have little effect during the day.

I will remind you that switching from 1 x 50mg to the split 2 x 25mg is STILL a downdose because the peak blood level is reduced. So you will still need to stabalise on that.

Get this far and then we will have something to work on from there feeding on your reactions to the dosage.

Matt

• Posted

Hi

I am now off Pregabalin I used to be on 150mg, then I reduced slowly over 4 months.

I was on 75mg x 2 (one am & pm), one day I went away for the weekend and I didn't take enough medication with me. I thought I'd take one 75mg each day instead of 2, luckily I was ok. When I returned I thought maybe now the time to reduce and get off this drug.

I then got 25mg capsules prescription and reduced over a number of weeks. I think I dropped 25mg each month and I have now been clean almost 3 weeks. I think I was kinda lucky as I didn't have any side effects, so maybe my body was a bit more tolerant coming off them.

If you talk to your GP there is recommended schedule for coming off these.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.