How to continue isotretinoin in England?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I'll explain my problem to you. I am French and I will move to England in a month.

I have been on Roaccutane treatment for a month now, my French doctor wants me to come back to France every month to show him my negative pregnancy test so that he can refill my isotretinoin prescription.

As I am moving to England, I asked him if it was possible for me to send him my negative pregnancy test by email and he would send me my prescription every month by email, or, alternatively, he would contact a doctor in England to do my follow-up, but my French dermatologist does not want to know anything and wants me to be there every month.

For financial reasons, I will not be able to pay for a France - England flight ticket once a month.

I would like to know how I could manage to continue my treatment with an English doctor.

Is it possible to go to a general practitioner and tell him that I am currently on treatment and ask him to take over, or is it necessary to go to a dermatologist?

I really need an answer because it's very important to me and I don't know who to talk to.

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hey! the gp should be able to refer you to a dermatologist but it all depends on waiting lists for how quick the turnaround will be.

the quickest but more expensive option would be to go private and they should be able to prescribe you quickly but the costs are expensive. i was initially offered accutane privately but a months of supply started from +£70 and depended on the mg required (based on body weight)

• Posted

Hello, thank you very much for your answer.

So I have to go to a GP, and ask him to refer me to a dermatologist in the private sector?

You're telling me it's expensive, but it's not reimbursed in the private sector?

Thank you again

• Posted

the gp unfortunately wouldnt be able to refer you privately but you are able to book an appointment witha private dermatologist through a company such as BUPA. the consultation fees are around £150-£200 for them to see you, then having a blood test is around £30 and then the medication itself is +£70. if you dont take up private medical insurance you have to pay all of the costs which can become a big financial strain as time goes on.

since the nhs is a free service all of the costs under nhs are not payable to you, just the prescription cost if you are not medically exempt from paying.

i eventually went through nhs to receive my roaccutane and went from 40mg to 80mg after 6 weeks, i did the whole course for 9 months and im acne free one year later!

it has really changed my life but the process was far from easy, i suffered really bad from the side effects.

hope this helps!

• Posted

The NHS does provide roaccutane but there is usually a waiting list to see a dermatologist. Make sure you are signed up with your local gp before you come to England. When you get your first appointment with your gp make sure you have copies of all your medical records as they sometimes get lost when transferred. The waiting list to see a dermatologist is usually 3 months depending on your area, sometimes it can be less but sometimes it can be more. It may be a good idea to phone the gp surgery you are going to sign up with in advance and ask all the questions you need to know.

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. I will call a GP and try to explain my situation to him.

I'll tell you what it is, maybe it will help people in the same situation...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.