How to convince yourself it's JUST anxiety.

Posted , 13 users are following.

How do you convince yourself that symptoms are just anxiety?

I've had 3 ECG's since Christmas and I still can't convince myself that the chest aches and pains I have aren't down to my heart!

Every little niggle or ache I get convinces me I'm going to die and then I end up in a full blown panic!

I haven't been out in 4 days, I can't eat and I can't sleep because I can't convince myself I'm not about to die! It's totally debilitating and I don't know how to talk my brain out of it!

Do any if you have any suggestions? Xx

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovely. I know what your going through because I'm going through the same thing. Every flutter, palpitation freaks me out and I crumble. The only advice I can offer is don't let it consume you.

Take care. Xx

• Edited

I know it's so hard. I really struggle convincing myself that all these symptoms is down to anxiety.

The only way I could fully convince myself, was having ruled out every other possibility. I paid for every single test to be done on me, and everything, MRI scans, echograms, ecg, blood tests, urine sample, you name it, I had done, they all came back fine and I was perfectly healthy. Yet I know I'm not healthy and something is seriously wrong. I finally got an amazing doctor who explained his severe anxiety is, and it is a proper disorder, itbs diagnosed medical disorder that comes with a lot of symptoms! The only way I properly convinced myself it was anxiety, was by talking to the doctor about it all in depth, I started having metacognitive therapy, and it taught me so much about how the mind works. And I also do a lot of reading on anxiety, a year later and I know so much about the topic that I can see for myself that it is anxiety, although it took me so so so long to believe it, you have to find out for yourself, if someone's says oh it's just anxiety, you're not gna believe them, because the symptoms are SO powerful. You have to find out for yourself and truly understand it, to believe it. Hope it helps, if you want to talk to me about it anymore just message me, because I know exactly what you're going through, took over my life trying to convince myself it was anxiety xx

• Posted

Hi I have problems convincing myself aswell I just want to reassure that im in my right mind lol every time ppl talk about mental health I panic
    • Posted

I just want to say Thank You jade! That was an AWESOME response and helped me to know that we are not alone. smile
    • Posted

Hahaha! Thank you! I just know how hard it is, and wouldn't wish anxiety on anyone else!! It really does take over your life. I think it's just amazing that your thoughts can do SO much to your body, I just found by getting more information on the topic and educating myself makes me feel less anxious because I understand what's happening to my body, you know? Xxx
    • Posted

I have been reading some self help books and joined some support groups, which help because you know your not alone. I never really understood anxiety and was one of those people that were like "just get over it" until it hit me out of the blue last year. Now I would not wish it upon anyone. I keep questioning as to why me? I felt pretty "normal" Before.....
    • Posted

Me too, whenever I heard about panic attack and depression I just didn't believe in it, I was like oh just get over it, but it changes your life when you experience it!! I feel like since that night it hit me out of the blue I'll never be the same again, I can't remember what I was like before,but I know that's just the anxiety talking. Yeah self help books are great, and the support groups really help, at first it's so horrible because you don't have a clue what anxiety is and what's happening to your body! But after a while you sort of learn to live with it and understand more what's happening, that's what I found anyway! X
    • Posted

Please contact me. In need to talk to you about this. I'm desperate and concerned. 

• Posted

U just described every single day of my life for the past 8 months i have constant chest pain and pains down my arms i mean how can it not be my heart but 3 ecgs and 2 chest xrays say its not but just cant get it out of my head my partner hasnt been outside the door in 3 weeks because im afraid i will die with 3 children here on my own.ive had 3 good days now tho so maybe theres hope yet. The worst thing is that the anxiety will also add physical symptoms so we just keep making ourselves worse its awful.

Take care and theres always someone here to talk to.

• Posted

Hi littleannie, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Ive been to the ER literally 15 times in the last year, my PCP several times and even a cardiologist. All have said there is nothing wrong with my heart, so you would think that would ease my mind right? NOPE. My PCP even tld me I should see a Psychiatrist, so I have and she says I have obsessive thoughts, put me on some meds and tld me to start cbt. I keep hoping and telling myself "this to shall pass". I hope it will for you as well and you will find peace and solace on your journey. smile
  • Posted

I'm going through something similar, and it's quite reassuring to know that it isn't just me. I relate to a lot of things mentioned by others, I've been through loads of medical tests and nothing is found. It makes me feel quite silly, like I'm wasting people's time, but the symptoms I feel are worrying to me.

I was told its likely just anxiety and it's nothing to worry about, but I wasn't offered anything further, so reading up on other people's experiences is something I find calming when I feel an impending sense of doom.

It's really not nice, but knowing others are in the same boat and are there to offer support helps I guess smile

• Posted

Hi,

your story was mine last year. So many symptoms, so many tests. All clear so why was I feeling so ill? After another trip to A&E, I went to see my gp who explained anxiety and how the aches, the feeling of impending doom etc... Was all part of it. He put me on citalopram and after 2 weeks I felt better. I was so anti drug before and refused them but this time I was so frightened I took them and it's the best thing I've ever done. Good luck

• Posted

Omg iv been threw the same thing I could not eat sleep or leave the house cause I would get twitches that scare me in chest 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.