How to cope with anti-depressant start up issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I have posted a similar item a little while ago but am inviting more feedback as I am so worried and anxious. I have yet to start a new anti-depressant escitalopram. I am very sensitive to medication and had some very bad side effects with a low dose or another ssir. What I want to know is how can i manage start up issue, particularly an increase in anxeity and depresion. I feel I am already at my limit of what I can cope with so anymore and I don.t know how I would function. I know there is the benzodiazapine route but is that the only thing? I am really scaring myself silly but know that my depression / anxiety is very bad.

Another thing that I worry about is the fact that there is quite a low success rate with the first anti depressant tried. Again I don't know how i would cope with tapering and all that involves as I have no resiliance at the moment and feel terrible anyway. By the way I live alone.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I too had similar worries - I began on 12.5mg of Sertraline which I took for 7-10 days then increased to 25mg which I took for a similar time.I am now on 37.5 and will increase to 50mg shortly. You are not alone - taking the first step is the hardest but after a few weeks you should began to feel a difference. Good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.