How to cope with startup on escitalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I was recently been diagnosed with GAD, but I think I have doubted having a disorder all my life because the anxiety was "manageable" through other practices.

3 months ago it felt like it hit me out of no where, fast heart rate daily, plagued with fear of losing my loved ones, fear of the future, and had no desire to do anything. I didn't feel myself anymore and was crying all the time. It came in waves, had the odd good day where I had more motivation, but the racing negative thoughts wont go away, so I gave in and have started Escitalopram.

I am on day 7 of 10mg (3 days of 5mg to start) and I swear things are SO much worse. I'm shaking, heart racing, no appetite, can't sleep, and the negative thoughts are so bad - everything seems pointless etc. I have a full time job I cant afford to miss but its so hard "faking it" everyday. I have support from my husband and mother but I feel so guilty and don't want them to see me like this anymore, I am usually their go to advice/support system.

I am seeing a therapist but find it so difficult to put into practice the things shes teaching me because the thoughts and feelings are so strong.

I read its normal for things to get worse before they get better so I am just looking for a little hope.. because I am really scared its going to get worse and dont know if or how these thoughts are ever going to go away.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The first few days (at any dosage) is difficult. And then any change such as upping the dosage, can be difficult. If your doc prescribed 20mg, the sooner you get there the better. I started day one at 20mg per day. First few days (also taking 1mg Xanax per day) were tough. Sweats, hot flashes, amped up, fear, etc . But after 4-5 days, I was ok. Maybe because I was so bad before I started that anything was better. I don't know. But get to the prescribed dosage quickly. Whether you start at 10 or 20, the startup is about the same. Staying at 10 and not being well, then having to get to 20 can be just as difficult as just starting. Work with your doc and if they say 20, do 20. Just my 2 cents. This is always different with every individual. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.