How to cure depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know so little about depression and recently was told by my doctor that I was going though it. I do not want to take medication, I'm scared. I cry mostly all the time that I'm alone and think about all the negative things and now this, depression. Is there a way to cure and take this away naturally?

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That's basically what depression is, u feel down, have lots of negative thoughts and often very emotional. The medication isn't there to 'cure you', it just balances out the  chemical serotonin which is creating havoc with your mind & emotions. Try looking for a depression/anxiety workshop, they will teach you how to better control your thoughts.
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed last September and resisted tablets until November. My doctor has been really good and understands my reluctance to take tablets. I also started a course of cognitive behaviour therapy and counselling. The therapy did help but I did completely fall apart in November and therefore agreed to try sertraline. It did make me feel more balanced and able to keep a handle on my emotions. I think the combination of treatments really was starting to work.

Unfortunately I was dealt a huge blow in January which has put me back several steps. I went through February not taking the meds as I thought what is the point but am now back on mirtazapine to also help sleep. Due to the way the system works where I live I was taken off the counselling service as I had surgery for an ongoing medical problem.

My husband recently spoke to my doctor as he thought I was going downhill fast and I then had a long chat with my doctor. He mentioned that my husband thinks the doc can give me a pill and I'll be fixed. In my short experience with it this is not the case it will take time to find what is right for you. If you haven't been offered it ask about therapies available that you could try alongside the meds if you decide to take.

Also writing on here can be great if you feel lonely as you will always find support and no judgement x

• Posted

If your not wanting to take meds like myself I suggest things like going for a walk get out do things as I'm most depressed when I'm doing nothing for example I had a real downer 2 days ago was a bad day sat around feeling sorry for myself did nothing cried next day woke feeling down so I put on some music loud danced did my house work felt so much better after compared to the day before its hard but I feel I need to drag my self out of depressive states often just to be able to cope seriously I can be having the worst day so I will make myself get up I go to the beach and stare out over the ocean I can leave there feeling light and fresh I find the beach so calming I don't know but maybe just try fond something you enjoy that could help you in that way if not a depression group does sound to be a good way of letting things out
  • Posted

I had problems from a bad job and marriage problems and got worse after losing the job, career, family, and house all at once.  I was then diagnosed as having undiagnosed clinical depression.  I had many of the signs of clinical depression since the late 1970's but it wasn't until 2004 that I got a proper diagnosis.  I now exercise, watch my diet, take supplements, connect with friends (even when I don't really feel like it), write down my feelings, and take medication for depression.   Without any one of these the depression returns. I am not cured and have bad days time to time.  I recognize that clinical depression is not just mental, it is often a physical brain dysfunction that requires medical treatment. Treating clinic depression only "naturally" is like trying to treat diabetes with just eating right and exercising but without medication.   A diabetic must make changes (like eating more natural food, avoiding excess sugar, and exercise) and take medicine to avoid horrible side effects of diabetes.  Yes, treat the depression naturally but you will likely need medication as well.
    • Posted

Very wise words with which I agree whole-heartedly! There is definitely no magic bullet for severe depression, but recovery hinges upon a combination of things. As someone prone to suicidal depression for a number of years, I've come to realise that medication can stabilize my moods but the biggest coping mechanism has come from changing my mindset and looking after myself healthwise. We are all different but taking small steps is often best. Accentuate the positive and ride through the negative storm. Give yourself permission to have good and bad days without judging yourself. Good luck Pineda :-)

You will find support here from fellow-travellers whenever you need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.