how to cure ostio arthritis ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

my mother has ostio arthritis in her leg. recently she has fluid in that particular leg. she is 75 years old. i want to know how to cure the arthritis very cheaply.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow sorry there is no cure I wish there was a I have it in every joint but no such luck there are only pain meds and some vitamins might help like COD liver oil 
  • Posted

Contrary to popular belief, and widespread misinformation, osteoarthritis is NOT an incurable disease. Research has debunked much of what doctors used to believe and we're now at a point where researchers know the old ideas are wrong, but they haven't quite figured out what it really is.

There is no test for OA - it's a diagnosis of exclusion. That means it can't be diagnosed without first ruling out every other possible cause. Yet it is routinely diagnosed WITHOUT ruling out other causes.

The cause of my 'classic' case of hip OA was a complex, whole body muscle imbalance. These imbalances are notoriously difficult to treat but they ARE treatable and in my case, and in the case of many others, when the imbalances is treated the joint problems are eliminated.

Research shows that most people that have 'evidence' of OA on x-ray or MRI are symptom free. It also shows no correlation between symptoms and x-ray findings. So much so that it's now been decided that there is no point in using xrays or MRI in the diagnosis and treatment of OA (this is the ruling in the UK at least) - the wear on film is a red herring. 

I know from helping hundreds of other people that there is a common pattern of muscle imbalance associated with hip OA. There are no guarantees that treating the imbalance will resolve all symptoms but it can only help. The only way to find out if it is the cause of all symptoms is to treat the imbalance and see what, if anything, remains. 

The bad news is that there is no help available - it's something you need to do yourself and the learning curve is steep. That said, there are little things that can be done quite easily to help manage symptoms.

If it's something you'd like to try with your mum I can give you some more info to help get you started.

• Posted

I would see a doctor about this. There is not quick fix for OA. Some joints -like hips or knees can be replaced or a steriod injection may be worth a go as it is low risk.
    • Posted

My knees were so sore prior to going on holiday that I was concidering steroids only I'd left it too late for a referral. I then concidered going private, on enquiring A. I would have to go through all the tests, x-rays etc and B. it would cost upwards of £800 for one.

I also was anxious as they aren't guaranteed (what med. procedure is eh!)

I'd had steroid for muscle spasms in my back and so did my mum, bothofwhich worked very well and almost instantaneous.

BUT that was a few years ago, now there are more warnings of things tgat could go wrong or may cause more problems, like it sadly has happened to Doreen, needless to say I didn't get it.

Meds are kicking in as well as doing physio exercise and swimming.

Swimming is excellent, it comes easy to me as I was both in competitive swimmers and for years I taught it as well as lifesaving.

BUT, sorry another but, you don't need to be able to swim or even like water. Walking in the shallow end bringing knees up as much as you can with each step is very good as it's not weight bearing and gives your knees/hips very good exercise.

PLEASE ASK YOUR DOC. FIRST.

• Posted

Hi Ark

Sadly yes there is no 'cure' .

I have OA in both knees.

I take Naproxen, co-codamol and rub Voltarol Gel on knees.

It helps in that it gives me relief from the stinging of a red hot poker feeling.

I hope this helps and your mum gets relief. Btw I am 71 years old.

• Posted

Your mother is very fortunate to have someone in her family who is trying to help her. 

Osteoarthritis in in joints, not in a limb like a leg as such.  It's important to avoid nsaids, that's painkillers like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and so forth because they inhibit cartilage regeneration.  Keep those medications when needed for something short term like a headache.  Acetaminophen (paracetamol or tylenol) is okay but shouldn't be taken too much because it can harm the liver.  

Can your mother see a physiotherapist?  They can give advice about exercises which will help strengthen supporting muscles which relieves stress on the bones.  It will cost money to see the physiotherapist, but only a few visits will be needed, maybe two or three - one for the evaluation, one to check that the exercises are helping and she's doing them right, and possibly a follow up to make sure things are on track.  Physiotherapists can do other things but unless you have insurance coverage it will add up.  

Diet is important.  It could be that things which are good for your health generally are also good for keeping OA from progressing too fast, but I don't think we know much about this.  I believe fermented foods, yoghurt the best known but there are many others, like kefir, fermented vegetables, and so forth, can help a lot of our ailments.  They improve our gut health, and that helps everything.  But be careful.  If your mother isn't used to fermented foods start with very small helpings, like a couple of ounces of kefir or a tablespoon of a fermented vegetable (sauerkraut is the best known but there are many others.  Our local farmers market is where I get mine). 

Avoid too many foods based on grains, and too many sweets things.  

So you know where I'm coming from, I was diagnosed with OA when I was 40, but probably had it earlier.  I'm now 71.  In all those years there has been very little progression.  I have taken glucosamine (two 1000 mg doses each day, which is high. I use a capsule, not a solid tablet, and always have it with a meal) and done what I can to maintain range of motion in all the affected joints.  I don't have it in my hips, but my spine is bad, and so are my hands and feet.  I apparently have some in my knees and was told when i broke my leg a few years ago that the OA showing in the x-ray would get worse because of the break.  Four years later and I am indeed feeling that knee stiffening up and I'm doing what I can to keep being able to bend it fully, etc, bending it through the pain, just as I flex my fingers or my toes.  So thirty years or more of OA and I'm not perfectly healthy or flexible but I think I've done well.

Good luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.