How to cure you pneumothorax

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am tall and slim, and had a pneumothorax about 9 years ago. I would then regularly get holes in the lung. Doctors had no answers why. After years of personal research I found it was extremely simple and obvious what the problem was...Dehydration.

I never drank water, only tea or occasional alcohol. I noticed I got a hole in the lung soon after eating very salty foods like Greggs pies. Salt is a very serious dehydrator. I now drink lots of water daily, and have cut back on salty foods. I havent had any problems with my lungs for years now and my skin is clear and not dry. Dry face skin is a danger sign of dehydration.

So, the answer is dehydration. It is so obvious, why oh why could not any doctor tell me that 9 years ago! Dont rely on doctors is my advice.

4 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree very much that doctors don't check basic things like hydration (or bowel movements! another important indicator) when diagnosing. That said, hydration for me hasn't been a cure. Once I realized my hydration was poor, I did start drinking a lot more water every day. I still do have minor occurrences, but I think hydration does definitely help. It's essential for basic health, so there's that!

Honestly, I'm here to research if there's been any new information on this condition since I had my first major (one of two) occurrence in the early 90s. I'm disappointed at how little information there is on spontaneous pheumothorax.

I was a smoker and quit right around the same time as my first, and most scary, occurrence. I had very poor hydration at the time. I lived in Austin, TX and drank nothing but Dr. Pepper. I remember the day of the first one, it was very cold and I had just been playing football outside...something I never did.

I also had a very poor diet. I try to eat much better these days and I think that helps as well. And rest, as someone else said. I rest as much as I can even if I don't feel like I need it. If I push myself to the point where I feel I need to rest (my chest gets fatigued fairly easy), I have to rest longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.