How to cure your recurrent cystitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, 

I wanted to share my discovery as I have gone from  a constant cycle of cystitis, antibiotics, thrush, and being so, so miserable, to being free from it for over a year.

In desperation one day I searched for cystitis self help books and I found one on Amazon by Angela Kilmartin called 'Urinary Infection - Sexual Cysitits'. She offers help for both sexual and interstitial cystitis. But basically it was a massive revelation and I am completely baffled as to why her advice isn't the first thing mentioned by any GP worth their salt, instead of ruining your immune system with antibiotics, poking and prodding you. Basically, Angela's advice is that non interstitial cystitis is a direct result of faecal matter travelling from your anus to your urethra and the only way to stop the infection is to stop this happening. She teaches a way to wash after defecation and before intercourse using a water bottle and soap. I did this for a while, although it is a bit of a nuisance, and I literally never got cystitis again. After some time, I thought I might try the unscented moist toilet tissues that you can buy as carrying around water bottles, soap and flannels all the time was a bit of a pain. And it worked!! I keep a pack of moist tissues is my handbag and one by the toilet at home. I use them after every stool, before bed, before sex, and after sex (just on my anus), and they seriously work. I had cystitis every other week from when I became sexually active aged 20 until I read Angela's book last year, aged 29. I'm now 30 and been free of cystitis for 1 year. And being free of cystitis has also freed me from thrush as my immune system and PH balance is better. 

SHARE THIS ADVICE! It works, it's easy and I just dont know why doctors dont recommend it.

Good luck,

Nathalie x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, are you still cystitis free? I have a recurrent problem of non bacterial cystitis...all the research tells us to stay away from soap etc etc...i have a problem with thrush too...so it definatley works??? i'm desperate. The doctors have offered my a bladder installation therapy but they've said it's unlikley it'll work...i am despearte to get rid of this thing...its ruining my life 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm so glad this method works for you. I have the same book and have tried the bottle washing method too; I agree that doctors should definitely be recommending washing methods that are designed to remove as much faecal matter and bacteria after defecating and intercourse. (In fact I think doctors should be doing a lot more to help UTI sufferers with preventative methods, rather than just treating each infection with antibiotics.)

I think UTI sufferers should definitely try this method out, but you do need to stick with it, you can't be complacent! Personally I found it too much of a pain to keep up long-term, and I didn't find it practical when travelling around and in public places. I do make a big effort to always wash thoroughly and try and wash from front to back, draining the water backwards etc, and carry wetwipes around with me too.... but it obviously wasn't enough as I was still getting up to 2 UTIs a month, which the author warns if you don't follow her method exactly.

Now I take a daily food supplement made from plant extracts (it's got cranberry, mallow, heather and thyme in) and -touch wood- I've not had a UTI in 3 months.

Good luck and I really hope you remain UTI free!

• Posted

Many years ago I used to get it, if I rember correctly, live yogurt helped administered - both ends!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.