How to deal with depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently I've been suffering very badly from depression. My attention span is hugely limited, as are my levels of motivation and the amount of food I'm eating. I'm sleeping far more than usual, and generally spend every waking moment crying or feeling sorry for myself.

I've suffered like this for a few years but usually I'm able to cover it up. Being an introvert with a huge problem with social anxiety, I've never spoken to anyone about it. But this time I've been having suicidal thoughts and I'm finding that it really infringes on my everyday life.

The point of this post is basically that I still live with my parents. I know they care about me, but I physically don't have the social capability to tell them. How do I go about getting help? I can't carry on living like this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please don't despair. I have suffered with depression for years and I know how isolating and awful it is. You are not alone.

I recommend reading Shoot the damned dog by Sally Brampton and Depressive illness - The curse of the strong by Dr Tim Cantopher.

Neither book has the answers, but they recommend things/treatments that you can try.

The first port of call should be your doctor. ASAP.

He/she will understand and can help.

Good luck

• Posted

Please don't give up, the help is out there. Go to your GP, see if you can book a double appointment for this, they should be able to help. One thing I would suggest, is ask your GP to check your thryoid levels, some of your symptoms could be made worse by an underactive thryoid. You're not alone in feeling like this, I've been there and come back out the other side. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Rainbowturtle, I hope you are still reading your posts. I have only just registered with this site but have found it helpful. I have suffered with anxiety for 10 years, it is general anxiety as well as social anxiety and I do understand how you feel.

Go to see your GP and explain everything that's what they are there for, also remember your thoughts are just that - thoughts, they are not you. When at my worst I have stupid obsessive thoughts about will I do something stupid to myself, but after reaading some good books including The curse of the strong by Dr Tim Cantopher, which is really good book, I realise that they are thoughts of a tired mind that needs help, support and rest.

It is only theh last year that I have told my parents how bad I feel ( I don't live with them and so they never knew and I was afraid to tell them) they have been very supportive but they don't have all the answers either. Help is out there in different forms, counselling, tablets and remember you have a strength in you, have faith and don't suffer in silence.

• Posted

Hi i am new to this site. i to have suffered with depression a few times through out the years but this time i had to take the first step and see my doctor about it. they prescribed me with medication, although this did take a few weeks to get into my system they did eventually work and 4 months later i feel great again. please dont give up. smile there is help out there for you and its all confidentual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.