How to deal with overwhelming feelings of anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started a temporary job yesterday which requires me to first take a train then a bus. Whilst on the train, my heart rate increases, my palms become increasingly sweaty and I feel a numb/tingly feeling in my chest. I don't know what it is. It feels like excitement but it's out of fear. I tell myself that I shouldn't be anxious about getting on the bus and that everything will be okay, but these physical symptoms don't go away. Any help?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Its generalized anxiety, the symptoms will subside the calmer you become, the more you think about them the more anxious and worked up you'll be, try listening to music or reading on the way, I have learned to semi control mine, mentally and I distract myself, its always better to keep the mind active with other things.
  • Posted

Hi, I get this sometimes but when I'm sat in like a meeting in work or something we're I feel I need to get out of the room and get some air etc, I did get some if this rescue remedy yesterday not to sure if you have heard of it its basically a spray you put on your tounge and it calms you down, i suffer with quite bad panic attacks so when i felt one coming on i used this spray and to my surprise it calmed me right down and I was okay, funnily enough I'm at work now and a panic attack has started and I've used the spray a few times and it defiantly seems to squash the symptoms and calms you down so it's worth a go
    • Posted

i've never heard about that before but i will look into it, thank you.
  • Posted

I can completely relate to this I suffer with travel anxiety so getting on buses and trains etc is a nightmare. I try and focus on something else like listening to music or playing a game on my phone or read anything that takes away the fear and symptoms . Hope this helps!!
    • Posted

okay i will find something to do, i'm glad that you found a way that works for you! thank you.
    • Posted

I hope it helps it is still a struggle for me. But I hope it helps you. Have you suffered with anxiety before
    • Posted

i hope everything works out for you. and thank you. i have suffered with anxiety for as long as i can recall (i'm only 16), but it has become more prominent. i find it difficult to notice exactly what triggers my anxiety as it all feels natural since i have been suffering with it for so long.
    • Posted

Thank you I have been suffering for 9 years and I know what you mean that not knowing what triggers it as I have suffered so long it just feels a bit normal now .
    • Posted

do you know any ways of recognising what causes you to feel anxious?
    • Posted

Well I get symptoms so my heart will raise and get sweaty and feel like I can't catch my breath but some times it will happen in situations that I have done for years and have had no problems before with so it can be unpredictable when it happens
    • Posted

okay so just try to notice the physical symptoms and match it up to what you're thinking or worrying about

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.