How to deal with someone who inquires about my medical history when they aren't a doctor

Posted , 5 users are following.

What should I say to someone who says "I don't know your medical history, but ....  It was just shockingly rude and there's no way I can say anything to the person because they blocked me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

maybe he want to help you or looking for some help by you.
  • Posted

Yes he was trying to help me, but I don't know why he seemed to act like a doctor or something.  It's unusual.

• Posted

But I don't like that it was on my social networking site, like he wanted to put me on the spot because he wants to correct me or something?

• Posted

So in other words he was trying to be nice, but some people might take that in a really upsetting way.
  • Posted

so many people want to know personal stuff on social media sties, i have faced these stuff
  • Posted

Hi Ian, sadly social media can be pretty in your face and often if you ask for help and the person isn't a doctor they still need some idea of the basic medical conditions you are suffering from, and it is probably hard for you to actually allow someone to know in what way your mental health issues are effecting you.

I think you will find it common on here as well, I often ask so I can guage the advice to their condition.

• Posted

Hi you can't do anything about this now if you are blocked but in future if anyone tries to give you medical advice rehearse something to say such as Where did you get your doctorate from,  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.