How to deal with these thoughts? Ocd

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i have mild ocd with anxiety and currenty on sertraline 75mg. I wondered if anyone had any coping strategies for dealing with ocd type thoughts. I can go over and over stupid things iv done over the years sometimes and even has a child, the silliest of things and think "what if this? What if that? Then trying to remember actual events going over and over them. I do this over the most simple of things i have ever done. And i cant stop doing it. I will ask my boyfriend these things and he will reassure me and then it will come back to haunt me again until i get reassurance again. How can i stop this worrying? Its like im scanning my whole life up until now!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have really scary intrusive obsessive thoughts. I'm always analyzing everything and it leads to severe anxiety. What if this? What if that? It's really debilitating. I really don't have any coping strategies...I'm hoping someone can help us both out!
    • Posted

Iv had the scary intrusive thoughts you just have to sit with them and they lessen eventually, its hard but its the only way! Iv had to do this myself. accept all the thoughts and they bother you less and less, what bothers me is going over and over everything iv ever done or said sometimes and worrying what if! Unanswerable questions i suppose and we have to learn to live with uncertainty even though it is very hard to do. I think thats the most difficult part.
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I do that too. I recently had a major setback with my anxiety and now I'm dealing with the obsessive intrusive thoughts of what if I lose touch with reality or what if I end up in an insane asylum? They are so scary. I try to ignore them, but it's really hard. I guess the more I try to run from them the stronger they get. Sitting with those types of thoughts is really frightening.
    • Posted

I totally agree! Have you ever tried sitting with those scary thoughts no matter how bad they are? After you do it a few times its not half as bad as you might think! And it eventually sinks in that the thought is rather silly, believe me it actually works! You will start thinking "oh im bored with thinking that now." Takes a hell of a lot of courage and causes terrible anxiety but the anxiety lessens very quickly. Sometimes i get an odd question that will pop up in my head and i have to answer it or google it! Even though its not important, i find not having an answer to some things anxiety provoking and i wish i could get help to stop doing it. Any ideas?
    • Posted

I have tried and I notice they do dissipate after awhile, but it's very scary!! Today I find myself questioning if I'm really here or if maybe I've already lost it and I'm not here. It's been terrifying. I'm going to try and just sit with them no matter how scary they are. I think you should try that technique with the wanting to Google something. Maybe busy yourself with something else and let the uncomfortable feelings be there and see if the urge passes.
    • Posted

Maybe thats a good idea for us both! Im gonna give it a go. Wish i had a normal brain! 😢 have you had cbt? Im on sertraline 100mg and waiting for cbt again for the 3rd time. I think cbt is needed a few times to get to the root of all obsessions and compulsions. Iv conquered a few the last year or two which was hard now iv just got to conquer the most difficult ones. I know theres no cure but i would like to be able to live my life without being bothered by ocd, and it just becomes a minor annoyance in the background. Let me know how you get on with sitting with those thoughts. 😊
    • Posted

I'm recovering from OCD and have had CBT and currently on sertraline. I take 100mg at the moment hoping to come down again in a few weeks. I had been on 200mg for the past two years. exposure and response therapy is recommended. Have a look at http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/ not sure what area you live in as there are support groups for suffers around the UK. They also provide online and telephone support. Hope it helps. Try to remember thoughts are just thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.