How to describe the Meniere's feeling ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently I was a passenger in the front seat of a car. We were stopped in traffic with cars and a semi truck on either side also in front of us and cars behind. 

Suddenly  the semi truck on the left side seemed to start moving and I had the sensation that I  was moving Backwards. I don't know that ithe truck was actually moving but it struck me that this is the sensation of vertigo I have  during a Meniere's  attack.  I have had this feeling several times over the years while in a car... long before I was diagnosed  with Bilateral Meniere's  4 years ago.

I then mentioned this to a couple of friends. One said "Oh that is an awful feeling". 

The other had never had it happen.  

So far my Meniere's  has been minor in compared to what many are enduring. 

Mostly happens if I move too fast and so far goes away when I sit still.  I do bump into 

walls and furniture at times too

Nancy    who finds it odd that spell check doesn't recognize the word Meniere's. !!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I’ve always had that feeling too, long before Menieres was diagnosed.

i even get vertigo getting out of the car,I can’t look sideways, even to see if traffic is coming when crossing the road, I have to turn my whole body. People must think I have Dementia because I hold my body straight when walking and only move my eyes.I must look sort of empty.I know I feel it!I even have trouble getting on and off escalators or yesterday, walking over a river bridge, by husband had to drag me over. I couldn’t cope wth the gaps in the bridge showing the water underneath.my head started to spin!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.