How to ease yourself out of persistent delusions (psychosis) that you are aware of?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've posted about this before, but am now looking for CBT-type self-help techniques I can apply to stop my mind from clinging onto it. Since it has begun interfering with my ability to perform academically and socially, my anxiety levels have also increased...socially, it has reached a crippling level: the thought of contributing to a class discussion/debate now makes me feel lightheaded, and my heart pound.

Taking medication out of the equation,what can I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I posted a discussion called "10 ways to stop anxiety". Read that. Also seek professional help now before you get in a rut. There are a lot of self help books, but I find I am better with a therapist. They help me see things more clearly when explained to me. Stay on this group to talk, and see that you are not alone!!!
    • Posted

Thank you. Would you mind posting a link to your discussion please? I can't seem to be able to find it through the search engine on the site.
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

You use the term psychosis which I am sure you are aware is beyond the realm of an anxiety disorder? I'm not an expert but as I understand it most people aren't aware when they experience psychosis ie alternative reality they are convinced is real.

I would hesitate labelling your thoughts etc this way unless you've had a diagnosis by a psychiatric professional. If you have already I'm sure you would be on appropriate medication and be supported?

Anxiety is an extremely powerful state of mind and coerces us into believing and buying into all sorts of thoughts and feelings about our health, future, etc What ifs, What ifs, What ifs galore about so many things.

Acceptance of anxiety ie letting the thoughts and feelings be there and becoming an objective observer is a good start. This technique works for me but it's hard work to train yourself just to accept.

I would suggest that you talk to a professional to make sure you are clear about what is going on with you, don't suffer in silence.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your input. I haven't had a psychiatric diagnosis, and only used the term because I've seen it being used on other forums wherein the poster was also suffering from delusions they were aware of. Of course I could be wrong - it may just be a severe case of intrusive thoughts.

The acceptance technique seems logical but I question whether it would be effective for me, considering the nature of what I'm experiencing: my mind seems to take my perception of somebody ( whom I routinely interact with)'s thinking style and thought processes and force it upon itself e.g. so and so would be thinking on this level/ cannot be thinking on this level...therefore I can/cannot either. It means that my environment, interactions...everything is filtered through this delusion. I'm afraid that accepting it will cause this way of thinking to mould into my mind permanently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.