How to enjoy doing nothing activities while sober?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have this problem, while I'm sober i cannot enjoy doing activities like watching movies. I want to enjoy watching mvoies, tv shows, etc but I just cannot for some reason while sober. Can someone help me with this problem? is it because I need to quit for a much longer period than like 3-6 days sober?

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Just off the top of my head I would say that when your mind is clearer because of no alcohol you have better things to think about than just watching something.  More active, less passive.  Maybe get away from TV for awhile and see what happens.  Enjoy something occasional on TV.  When I quit, my mind got very active and I found it hard to sit and be passive.  Here's an idea that I have seen my son in law do.  He has his iPad clipped to a bracket on a kitchen cabinet and he cooks great meals while watching movies on Netflix.  Best of luck with your sobriety.  It's worth the effort.  smile
    • Posted

At the gym I go to you can watch TV while you're on the treadmill, bike, crosstrainer etc.  If you tried that maybe you could still enjoy tv and get fit, while you're too restless to just sit and watch.
  • Posted

I think it can be difficult to enjoy things that you always associated with having a drink without having a drink. Like for me a nice meal.  Yes you probably do need a longer period of sobriety.  Maybe finding other things to enjoy, more active things would help at the moment.   Good luck
  • Posted

Sorry this was meant to be a relpy to ozm, not mom!

At the gym I go to you can watch TV while you're on the treadmill, bike, crosstrainer etc.  If you tried that maybe you could still enjoy tv and get fit, while you're too restless to just sit and watch.

• Posted

I'm on 7 days sober today and I have the same problem. I think my body has been so used to doing everything with alcohol that I'm finding most things quite boring. Honestly, I'm in no mood to exercise although I know I should. Still love what Melissa said. Make one goal a day. Today mine is to actually keep a doctor appt that I've been cancelling. Tomorrow is to visit my grandmother. Just small things that don't overwhelm me as I've been tired lately. We need to give our bodies time to adjust without alcohol. For me it's one minute at a time. Try the small goals. I tend to over think and over research also. My outpatient counselor told me instead of reading self help books all of the time to read a novel or a mystery. Actually, I haven't been in the mood to read either. Try taking a drive listening to your favorite music. But, don't over analyze the situation. Just focus on small things. This too shall pass for both of us. (I pray) Many Blessings!
    • Posted

Thank you rainbow!  I guess after you said about enjoying some things I suppose I do enjoy a cup of tea at night instead of a beer. I enjoy eating and not feeling bloated because I had poor choice in foods.  It's the little things.  I keep saying I'm going to start my pilates but I've had no energy.  The DVD is looking at me. I have a treadmill also.   I know if I push myself just once I'll be ok.  But, for now I'm going to stick that one goal a day.  Youre right in the fact that we all differ.  But, overall, we are all the same.
  • Posted

Its funny how we all differ. I found that's one thing I did enjoy because I made a nice cup of hot choc or herbal tea and treated myself with a little choc bar or something ! I would also plan my eve in the morning if had time to watch specific programmes .I knew I could concerntrate and remember the story etc. Documentories even better. Perhaps you need mor time. Maybe get and exercise bike and try that at the same time or cooking as someone else said

Good luck 

• Posted

i agree with the others and your mind is more active if you do not drink and you should do other activities for certain. Perhaps also treat yourself since you are not drinking!! Robin
  • Posted

Hello ozm8ey,

I don't want to advocate medication... so... what about herbal teas... don't laugh out loud.  I don't know what else to suggest.  I have the attention span of a newt, sozzled or sober !

Alonangel 

• Posted

Hi...TIME is the four letter word of sobriety.

I promise you that if you maintain a longer period of sobriety you will enjoy these things again.

Best wishes. And congrats on 6 days!

• Posted

Hi, I am a recovering alcoholic, just done my 1st year sober, I admit if you do have alcohol problem it is wise to seek professional help, meetings are really good too, also believe it or not your life will not b boring sober , my life has changed dramatically in this first year, I was homelessness for 3 1/2 yrs because of substance misuse and domestic violence,Anyway I do lots of enjoyable things and drink I theclast thing on my mind as its just awful on it, hope you can see life will get better honestly x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.