How to feed old grandpa?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

My grandpa is 86 years old. Few days ago he was in hospital with the following symptoms:

Vomiting dark liquid, burping, diarrhea. I am not quite sure what the exact diagnosis was but I what I understood is interlaced intestines, blocked colon and bad peristalsis. 

At first he was about to have surgery, but end up having just cleaned up inside and few days on tube systems. Today he is back at home. The doctors said to avoid certain foods such as spicy, salty etc. Can anyone please recommend a good diet and exact foods he should be avoiding? I am really worried we don't give him something that can harm him!

Thank you! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi y18808

Just follow a bland diet such as boiled chicken, fish scrambled eggs, omelettes and veggies such as sweet potato and ordinary potato, squash, broc, cauli mashed with potato...no butter or salt in the mash just a little lactofree milk...some red meat. gluten free bread... greek yogurt natural or fruity....home made soup with very little salt....use reduced salt chicken and beef stock. I don't know what part of the world you are but i'm sure you will be able to find a supermarket that sells reduced salt products and gluten and lactofree products........obviously no curries, pasta spicey recipes or salty bacon or citrus fruit.. ..plenty water no fizzy drinks or caffeine in tea or coffee.....hope this helps best wishes.....

• Posted

Thank you Lilian! I forgot to mention that he is vegeterian, but the mash and light soups will be the right way.

• Posted

Hi y18808

You can always go the vegetarian section for vegetarian meats- low salt.....bon appetite ...my very best wishes.....

• Posted

It sounds like he might have had bowel obstruction. 

I would suggest lots of fluids, easy to digest stuff - soups would be good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.