How to find a good Dr

Posted , 3 users are following.

How do you find or what should you look for in a good Urologist dealing with cancer. Is there a site or someplace that reviews them. Sorry if that sounds stupid but I'm just trying to figure this out. I just moved to MD from NJ and the current Dr that I am seeing is convenient but I'm not sure how good they are. I know John Hopkins is about 30 mins from me but even then I would be grasping at straws if I don't know what I'm looking for.

Take for instance as I explained on another post my psa went up to 10.6 then to 13.6 in a month after the MRI the dr office responded initially with the MRI looked normal no reason to do a biopsy and that was it. It wasn't until I ask them so are we gonna do any test to find out why my psa spiked that they said we need to do a biopsy. I'm not a Dr but I'm like umm I had to ask about that? Shouldn't it have been more like "Hey we don't see anything adnormal on your mri but we need to figure out what caused the spike"

I guess that's where advocating for myself comes into place.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Were both PSA tests conducted by the same lab?

• Posted

No, the first PSA reading was fine at quest, the second was fine by the lab at the urologist. Not sure who they use.

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply, but from now one please use the same lab for tests as each lab has slight variations in its measuring method. You need to have the same method used in measuring over time to get a handle on what changes are taking place in the readings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.