How to gain weight with chronic pancreatitis???

Posted , 24 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis... I have always been small... I've been trying to gain weight for years but I would always stay around 100lbs... Now I have dropped to 90lbs and really look sickly... I'm new to this and still trying to figure out what I can and can't eat... So any recipes, snack ideas, breakfast anything would be greatly appreciated!!!! And I've read conflicting thing about dairy is milk and cheese ok??? Eggs??? I'm at a lost. I'm scared to try things I have 3 kids 3yr old and under and it's hard to take care of them doubled over in pain... again anything is much appreciated!!!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am losing weight also, to the point of looking emaciated. I have been to ER and the pancreas was slightly elevated, nothing showed on the cat scan and to not eat fat for 3 days and then low fat diet...also had a UTI so they gave me an antibiotic . It seemed to work for a couple weeks but then I got bronchitis, a trip to the walk in and another antibiotic. A week later I was in the ER again, this time pancreas was ok but they determined I had a gastrointestinal virus or bacterial infection from something I may have eaten on a trip and sent me home after an abdominal ultrasound which showed nothing. I was horribly sick for 10 days and went to another walk in and had another UTI so another antibiotic. I finally got in to see my dr. after pleading with the office. He thought I would be fine soon and was at the tail end of the gastrointestinal thing but may need to see a GI if it persisted. Also said three rounds of antibiotic didnt help and made it worse. All this time I kept saying my side (where the stomach and pancreas is) had discomfort. I was ok for several days, thought I was getting better finally and then ate some pasta with veggies and olive oil and a tiny bit of butter and tiny bit of parmasan and bam was sick as a dog the next day and back to the same symptoms of the pancreatitis like episode....so watched the diet again but took over a week to not be nauseated. I am still watching my diet with low or no fat but my weight is bad. Not gaining even though I eat. I have a GI appointment for 6 weeks from now, the soonest they could get me in but afraid I will lose more weight before I get in. Does anyone have a way to gain weight without setting off the pancreas? It takes forever to get to see a dr. in the state I live in....not enough available so wait wait wait.

• Edited

Hello friends dealing with this is a lifestyle change not a management of drugs or doctors appointments. Stress can cause just as much pain as the food we eat. I have lived with a cranky pancreas or what they call (chronic) for over ten years. Everyone is different but best results for me was eating different. Being a vegetarian or vegan is probably best but not for everyone. So try eating Fish, Chicken or Turkey instead of beef and pork. ............Learn How To Cook. Make your own food never fry food eat raw, steamed, boiled, baked pan seared with water. Understand most food you find in the store or restaurants are full of chemicals, high in salt and fat processed crap and it will make you feel that way. Cut junk food fast food, chips, deserts, candy, socks but better than literally NOTHING. Try snacks like dried fruits, natural nuts and seeds sunflower, pumpkin almonds etc. (I've found peanuts don't really work to high in oil and fat) , triscuits are okay with hummus. High protein grains and oats cereals with honey and lower sugars. Small meals yes but don't starve yourself. Personally I try to stay away from all oils and butter unless it is a very small amount from nuts or seeds like Sunflower or Almonds. I don't do much dairy maybe a probiotic sugar free yogurt. Egg whites if you want have worked okay for me the yoke is high in fat. If I get nauseous I take ginger pills or drink ginger tea. Grape seed extract is a great help in digestion for me. I have cut most sugar maybe a piece of dark chocolate sometimes. Stop Drinking Alcohol ! Stop Smoking Cigarettes !These things are easy to say I understand but choices RIGHT. I love my family and friends and life and being here so I changed myself for me, for everything and everyone. Clean out your system try to do a healthy fast for a day to rid your body of toxins. Eat healthy fats and sugars from raw fruits and vegetables use herbs and spices, eat more rice and leafy greens drink more water and tea get less caffeine. Vitamin B complex and B 12 are important supplements. Make a smoothie with mangos pineapple banana put some spinach and kale with vanilla cinnamon raw honey water with a little almond milk add less water pretend it is ice cream. Take steps to change your life write them down. Do not overwhelm yourself it will take time to change your life nothing happens over night or with a snap of the finger. Change your environment if you that is what it takes to keep living. Most other people won't understand if you lose a friend because they don't support you wanting to be live longer, ask yourself if they are truly your friends. If you struggle because sometimes it is hard to hold a job being sick a lot or with support or money ask for help from your community or doctor or a natural doctor. It is hard to ask for help but once you overcome that most people want to help other people. I still try every day to get better sometimes I slip and make a bad choice but not as bad as 15 years ago. I am a 42 year old man and some days I feel 80 other days 18. There are lots of recipes for ground Turkey to replace beef if you don't want to be a vegetarian or vegan. I didn't want to stop eating meat but found it works best for me most of the time. Don't be fooled by fake products that just say and look healthy READ THE LABELS if you can't pronounce half the ingredients put back and move on. Just because it says organic or natural doesn't mean it is good for you. Trust yourself not the box the try to sell you. I hope a few things I've mentioned will help all of you like they helped me in this learning process of life we live. Treat yourself and your body kindly and you will feel like you again. ................OH YEAH 1 Last Thing .................. Smile You're Wonderful We All Need You!

• Posted

Thank you for your post you make very good sense. I am 78 and just been diagnosed with pancreatitus I have had 6 chronic attacks in 10 months 4 of them whilst living in Spain. before being diagnosed I returned to normal eating and drinking after each attack. now I have given up eating all fat and dairy foods. I feel normal at the moment, but my stomach can be subject to extra activity and the feeling that an attack is not very far away.

I am now concerned that the 3 stone weight loss over this period doesn't seem to be coming back. what do you recommend I try ? I am just celebrating the result of the biopsy of the pancreas. I would appreciate your comments as it would appear that you have experienced all the same symptoms and know what you are talking about. regards Brian.

• Posted

Just keep yourself motivated and in good spirits. Try to walk after you eat to help the food naturally put the weight back on. Believe your own body can fix itself with the right food and mind. I no longer take any medication, I walk 5 to 10 miles a day. I know this may not be easy for everyone but motivation is key. Put on your favorite positive music even if it seasonal music just listen and let the music help you step to a longer life. The mind has as much to do with the gut as anything. Drink a fruit and vegetable smoothie as you walk find a walking partner although mine is music you may want a friend or relative to help keep you positive. The strongest drug in the world is belief so I believe you can do it!

• Posted

I have chronic pancreatitis and I've been told to drink 3 ensure enlive a day. for the extra protein and calories, but I'm so protein and calorie starved that I'm down to 85lbs. try that

• Edited

vallery, started to suggest supplemental enzymes as prescribed by a doctor before seeing the many helpful replies here. Hopefully this aspect has already been discussed.

I seem to get some mileage from rice pudding--sometimes with the addition of a small portion of nuts such as cashews. Too much fat intake can be a problem, in my case anyway.

• Posted

I also suffer from the same affliction I've had chronic pancreatitis since 07 what I have noticed now that I'm 54 is it just tears your body down slowly but surely I'm skinny to begin with so with so what kind of weight am I gonna lose I don't have any fat so I'm trying to be active but I cannot gain muscle mass

• Posted

hello, may i know what symptoms you have? how are your feces? amylase, altered lipase? did you also do pancreatic elastase?

• Posted

Eat only below, Six to eight times in a day:

1. Raw Coconut,
    2. Apple, Orange, Plums, Berries, Grapefruits, Pappaya, Guava, Pears, Cucumber, Carrot.
    3. Moong daal, Peanut and ChikPeas (Boil with little salt)

Your problem solved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.