How to gain weight with Coeliac Disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

What are some of the best ways to gain weight when you are under weight with Coeliac Disease?

Supplements are not working, and I eat normal meals that I find managable.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What is your usual diet on an average day? You may not be getting enough calories to maintain weight. Often adding a protein supplement can help. I am not true coeliac but gluten intolerant, however, my doctors say I react the same so might as well call myself coeliac, so I do understand the weight issue. I lost nearly 2o kilos very quickly. Ok I liked that, wink  I found I THOUGHT I was eating enough, and I was getting quite full but added up the calories and was shocked I was eating up to a 1/3 less than my requirements!

Write down everything you eat and see what the calories are and how much excersice you do. That is a start. Get back to us and we can go from there. Cheers.

• Posted

Celiac disease, also known as gluten sensitive enteropathy, is an autoimmune disease affecting the small intestine that may lead to maldigestion and malabsorption issues. You should be able to slowly re-start gaining the weight you lost, by following a well balanced diet of complex gluten-free carbohydrates, lean proteins (other than milk and eggs) and healthy fats such as nuts, avocados and olive oil. Increasing your calories intake is a key to gaining weight. Adding an additional 500 calories to your diet per day can help you to gain 2 lbs per week. Dairy foods, meat, fish, poultry and beans are non-gluten sources of protein that you could add to your daily diet. Consuming small and frequent meals throughout the day will help you consume adequate calories while being less likely to result in stomach distress. Take lot of high quality protein and generous servings of peanut butter!! Peanut butter has around 200 calories in 2 tbsp.
  • Posted

What I had presumed to be a general stomach discomfort due to lifestyle and consuming packaged foods, appeared to be celiac disease after months of trying various foods. I initially began to show signs of egg allergy. Though eggs have been a part of my diet since childhood, I started having severe pain in the deodenum after consuming eggs. Initially assuming it could be due to salmonella contamination, I started getting more expensive eggs. But they didn't help. 

Over a span of 6 months I lost nearly 10 kgs of body weight. I already  have a slim a 10kgs made a lot of difference. People began making fun of me. No matter what I ate, no matter how much I increased my food intake, I wasn't able to gain even a pound of body weight. A friend of mine who has celiac seemed to have had the symptoms that I do. She was very slim and had problems in eating and after beginning a gluten free diet, she ended up becoming overweight in two years. 

I went on a gluten free diet for a month and I gained 3kgs like magic. For the first time I stopped feeling horrible about looking at the mirror. I thought I could get medical diagnosis done to confirm I have celiac. 

The doctor's recommendations are this:

I have to have gluten based diet for at least two weeks.

I should stop having milk and have yoghurt instead.

No fruits. 

Post that he wants me to get tested for IgA, blood sugar and thyroid and go back to him with the results. 

Today I had cornflakes (Kellogs cornflakes contains malt extracts that contains gluten) for breakfast and 6 hours later, there is bloating in the lower abdomen. 

Now my cause of concern is I really do not want to lose this weight I gained. The weight loss was causing me various problems, weakness in bones, headaches, dry skin and embarrasment to see anyone. Are there food items that still continue to get absorbed despite having damaged villi? 

I don't know why the doc wants me to stop consuming milk even though milk only helps me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.