How to get access to nalfemene (Selincro)

Posted , 3 users are following.


i have just come across this forum after doing some research on nalfemene and wondered if anyone could offer any guidance..... my area is wakefield in west yorkshire. my husband has seen his GP about his drinking on a number of occasions over the past 18 months and was only offered advice to self refer to "turning point" our local alcohol service. he was places on a waiting list for CBT after his initial assessment and 8 months later he has now started the therapy. His therapist then referred him to "inspiring futures" which i believe is part of our areas alcohol services but not 100% sure. Nothing is helping the cravings, he does not experience withdrawal symptoms so does want or qualify for a clinical detox but he feels he has no control over alcohol. one drink turns in to 10 and he's at risk if losing everything. any guidance on how we should progress this would be really appreciated. thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Edited

    Unfortunately, Turning Point removed nalmefene (Selincro) from their list of medications for prescribing back in January 2017 as they decided that it 'is not an effective medication'. This is NOT Turning Point's job and NICE has already looked at the research and approved the medicaton for use on the NHS based on all the available evidence.

    The above is from an email conversation I had with the overall head pharmacist at Turning Point.

    This goes against the NHS Constitution, which pledges that people are entitled to medications approved for treating their condition if a doctor deems them suitable. Sadly, if you live in an area where Turning Point have the commissioned contract to provide alcohol and drug services for the NHS, your husband will not be prescribed nalmefene.

    Your only recourse is to contact your local MP. Your local council Public Health department gave the contact to Turning Point, and your MP can question why they are not providing an approved medication as per the NHS Constitution. I do know someone who did this in the Essex area, who also had Turning Point as their commissioned treatment provider, but unfortunately they got nowhere and had to be prescribed it privately by ourselves. Alcohol misuse is not a voter friendly condition to have, and so MPs and councillors do not rate the situation as important, when they receive 100's of contacts a day about things like potholes......

    If you google Sinclair Method UK, you will find a contact form for me on there. I can look at whether nalmefene (or the far less expensive generic naltrexone) may be suitable for your husband.

    Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up