How to get back to my normal sleeiping schedule? Vistaril isn't helping sleep.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I stopped taking my meds about a month ago because I was staying up all night and sleeping during the day so I just didn't remember to take them. I just started taking them again and don't want to experience what I did in the last month again. I know I need to take them but I also know that I need sleep. I have had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember. I get very paranoid at night, my mind won't stop, there are nightmares and I wake up with a racing heart. The past few months I have been taking vistaril to sleep but I have noticed it hasn't been working. I stopped taking the vistaril when I stopped taking my antidepressants. I started taking them again on Tuesday and slept for 12 hours during the night and I was awake during the day so I thought things were getting back on track. But Wednesday, I only slept for about two hours then I could not go back to sleep. I stayed up until about 8am and have been stuck back on this sleeping pattern all week. Going to sleep by 11pm and waking up at 8am is what I need to get to. Having a routine really keeps me grounded and taking my meds. Any suggestions on how to do this? It is almost 9:30am and I haven't gone to sleep yet. I thought about staying up all day so I would be tired enough to go to sleep my 11pm but I am too tired. I just want to sleep.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you have anxiety? Please reply so I can help. 
    • Posted

Yes. I have depression and ptsd as well. When I went of my meds, things got really bad. I spent the past year really addressing my anxiety and depression but at the end of the year when I was diagnosed with ptsd, I just kind of stopped addressing it. I see my counselor every two week and my psychiatrist every month so I am not totally ignoring it but the majority of the time I am watching tv to escape the reality of things. My dad used to come home drunk every night growing up and he and my mom would argue loudly right outside my bedroom. This was every night, on school nights.. Eventually I started missing a lot of school because I couldn't sleep from my parents arguing all night. My counselor thinks that is one reason I am having trouble sleeping.

• Posted

When I was younger my dad came home drunk, he was basically dead to me. well if your having sleeping problems, you listen to music while laying in bed/listen to calm music, eventually you'll fall asleep. 

• Posted

Who suggested Vistaril,  Google says "Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is a non-addictive antihistamine medication. This drug is used to relieve the itching caused by allergies and to control the nausea and vomiting caused by various conditions, including motion sickness. It is also used for anxiety and to treat the symptoms of alcohol detox and withdrawal."    It does not mention a sleeping aid.  A common sleeping pill mentioned on this site is 7.5mg of zopiclone.  I suspect in the UK you need a GP prescription for it, though it can be bought OTC in some other countries

• Posted

My psychiatrist suggested it. He will probably change me to something stronger at our next appointment. He tried to before but I have been taking this for awhile and even though it isn't working, I am used to it. I guess I just don't want to have to deal with adjusting to the side effects and everything. I spent all last year finding the right antidepressants.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.