How to get better walking down stairs

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone! Hope this past week brought some advancement for everyone, even if small, as often is the case with our injuries. I have a question I think someone out there may be able to help me with and would love to hear from you. I have started walking barefoot on stairs and seem to be able to walk up stairs, one leg after another (normal type stair climbing), without any problem, but when I try to go downstairs, I feel like my injured leg won't bend at the ankle all the way to go down the step, when I lead with my good leg on the lower step and try to step through with my injured leg from the upper step to the next step. Has anyone else experienced this? It feels kind of like I have a brace around my ankle which won't let it rotate fully. I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and which exercises helped them. I am able to point and flex in exercises no problem, so I am not sure what to do to strengthen my ankle to accomplish this task and I wonder if it is normal to have this problem on the stairs. I think I may need to do more tiptoe holding exercises and Achilles stretches on the stairs perhaps, but really am not sure. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Patti same problem here. Going upstairs no problem but coming down have to go down one stair with good leg then bring bad ankle to same stair holding tightly on bannister. Two weeks ago was given exercise off PT just to stand and rise on tiptoes and to hold position to the count of 30. Also to stand just on bad leg to help improve balance. This finding very hard Infact don't think could manage this well before accident.

The most important thing is getting to where we want to be safely.

• Posted

Hello Patti.  I had/have exactly the same problem coming downstairs though i havent walked barefoot yet..  It sort of meant that with each step, there was a sort of jolt because my ankle does not have enough flexibility to negoatiate the stair movement fully and it did feel like there was a brae around my ankle.   However, it has got better over time.  I do soak my foot every morning in a hot sink  of Epsom salts water for ten minutes, then follow by cold water.  I then use bio-oil to deep massage my calf and achilles.  I do scar tissue massage to the whole ankle area with a very small amount of oil as you need to do this quite expertly.  I massage my scars and particularly across the front from ankle to ankle as this, as you say, is an area that feels tight and restricted.  I then do my exercises which does incorportate stair work, lifting on to my toes and then calf strethching down.   I have great difficulty balancing fully weight bearing on the injured leg as i am supposed to.  So my PT suggested i start the exercise at 50% and gradually increase.   I am now at about 60% but still dont feel my foot has the stregth to hold my weight and i am not heavy.    I end my exercises with standing facing a wall with my toe near the wall and bending my knee to hit the wall.  Initially, i could get nowhere near the wall but now have much more mobility.   I would take advice however on any exercises programme as these have to be tailored made to suit your injury and time since surgery.  Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

I experience exactly the same and have done since being able to walk unaided. The angle of your ankle is different going up rather than down, hence a jerky movement or hop rather than walk coming back down. I do the same exercises as you, flex and point. I also was told to put my foot as far behind as comfortable and then stretch forwards also to squat down as low as you can get without moving you foot. Hope this helps and speeds up your recovery
  • Posted

Hi Patti, at physio. I was taught when going up stairs good foot first down bad foot first. In the beginning I was more afraid of going up because it left most of my weight on my bad ankle, but now I am doing fine I just make sure I am next to the railings or wall in case I need some sort of support. I find walking up steep ramps more difficult than stairs. Also did a good deal of walking outdoors this weekend, so I feel great. I wanted to try drive my car up the road, but my husband would not let me, said give it one more week, he is afraid I won't be able to make an emergency stop. So I wait. Have a great week all.
  • Posted

Hey Patti, Ron back here on the Forum.  Yes, exactly, I have the issue going down my spiral staircase.  Can't do it in a totally normal way without feeling discomfort and tightness, as if the foot has not gained it's full flexibility back.  Which of course it has not.  That will come, I'm sure.  In the meantime, I do try going down using a full flex, but take some of the weight off by holding on to the railing.  I think that is a good way to ease into the full flex over time.
    • Posted

Hi Ron and all- 

Sorry for all those who are going through so much at work. I really feel horrible hearing what you are going through and my thoughts are with you. I hope things look up in the near future.

Thanks for all your comments. I did some further research, and put it together with all of your feedback. Here it is:

-It's quite normal to have trouble walking down stairs with the injured foot

-It feels very tight going down the stairs, like a vice around the ankle

-Try putting the foot half way over the end of the step and then stepping down; try bending the injured ankle's knee a bit more

-Do lots of walking around the house on the balls of your feet and tiptoes

-Do calf stretches on the wall (injured foot behind and other forward, pressing heel to floor)

-Calf stretches on stairs (toes on step, facing stairs, lower heel below step) 

-Calf stretches (at bottom of stairs, face stairs, put injured foot on stair and lean in)

-In PT work on narrow height steps, if available

-One foot balances on injured foot (try closing eyes after mastering with open eyes)

-Practice walking on stairs, holding railing to get you through part you can't do. Put bad foot down first. 

-Squats (as much as you can do to strengthen)

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Hope you have a happy week.

• Posted

Thanks Patti will be a great help. One thing worries me is the squats, I might not get up again. Lol.
  • Posted

Forgot...one more:

-Stationary bike cycling (do as much as you can on a pressure you can handle)

• Posted

I am 8 months post op and still have trouble going down the stairs.  PT said dorsi flexion has to be within 10 degrees to descend normally.  I am better than I was months ago.  I feel like I need to brace myself with both arms.  My heart goes out to all of you that have gone back to work and are being treated so poorly.  This injury is harder than I could have imagined.
    • Posted

Linda- Try a few tip toe lifts from bed (in seated position) each day to strengthen the foot. It will come!!
    • Posted

Hello Patti. Could you explain a bit more about how you strengthen with bed toe lifts. Do you just exert pressure and not weight bare. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Patientholland- I was just thinking if you can't put all your weight on your toes standing as of yet, then just sit on the edge of your bed and press on your toes, to build up your strength slowly...anything helps, as long as it doesn't hurt you I think. I got some new exercises from the PT today: the wall stretch where you stand in front of the wall, with your hands on the wall and your injured leg behind you and the other in front and you stretch the calf of your injured leg (helps loosen the tendons on the bottom of your foot as well as your calf). Also another exercise that really fired up my foot today was an exercise where you stand with both legs a bit apart on the ground, and shift full weight (right and left) in a side rocking motion. When you are on the injured foot, hold for five seconds. I think we basically have to strengthen our feet and legs as much as possible to be able to walk properly. My biggest weakness now is toe strength, because at the end of a proper walking gait you push off on your toes and I am not able to do that perfectly yet. Every day is another day to push forward, little by little. 
    • Posted

Thanks Patti. I have done all those exercises and was walking around house and ten minutes outside unaided. But, I feel like my foot just cannot take my weight on the toe exercises. A sharp pain then develops under the tibia or fibula and with each move feels as if either my bones have shifted or an object is in there. Quite nauseating with each step. Now there is a tight band across the front. Doctor says X-rays are fine!!! So I am going for a second opinion and MRI to see if there is any tissue damage. I am five months post-op and should be walking. Hopefully, if nothing's wrong, I will have to be more patient and also take more anti-inflammatories and go through the debilitating exercise pain
    • Posted

Hi Patti, I tried the squats yesterday, holding onto the back of my couch I tried to squat down. So funny. I went down so slightly and then felt the pull in the tendons at the back of my heel, I was so surprised because I thought my ankle was quite flexible, so now I have a new challenge. Shows how quickly you're muscles get used to the same routine. I will start slowly and go from there. Thanks have a great day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.