How to get off amitriptyline a lot easier!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone, I stumbled on to your site and read all of the posts about the horrors of coming off amitriptyline and felt my experiences with amitriptyline withdrawal can help all of you who are suffering. First off, I can confidently tell you all that most of what doctors told me about how to taper off that miserable drug was all wrong. After disastrous attempts in 2018 trying to get off 50 mg. of the stuff after 23 years, I ended up consulting with rehab centers, did my own research and in-house clinical trials and found a protocol that is--manageable and will at least allow you to go on with your life until you're off it. I've spent thousands of dollars with so many doctors and my life was in a very dark hell. Here's what you need to do: You must first understand that you can't get off this drug easily if you've been on it for a substantial amount of time. You can't fast track yourself off that drug without putting yourself through unnecessary hell. Your brain can't heal/re-calibrate that fast. So start by buying one or two of those inexpensive microgram jewelry scales off Amazon--they're usually around $20. Once you have them, weigh the pills you are taking--for example in my case I was taking 50 mg. pills. You will likely have to weight a number of the pills because they won't all be the same weight. Get an average. Then divide that number by 50--if it is a 50 mg. pill. THAT will give you the actual weight of each medical milligram in each pill--and in my case each milligram for each pill was 4.44 mg. of weight per "medical" milligram of the pill. Same for other pills like the 10's, 25's, or the 100's. Using a piece of sandpaper, drag the edge of the pill on the sandpaper to take off 1 mg. & weight that pill a number of times on one or both scales to make sure it's accurate. I found that it almost always took 9 days for any variation in the drug to stabilize in my body. I could never drop more often than every 2 weeks. Then I'd drop again. If it feels like too much for you, then drop 1/2 a milligram. Yes, I know that it may take quite a while to get off the drug that way, but if you can't feel it that much--it's worth it! It has taken me almost a year to drop from 60 down to nearly 45 milligrams where I'm at now, but at least I can function with my life. There are times it's uncomfortable, but as I learned with the re-hab centers, you can take a 500 mg. of choline and a 500 mg. of inositol and those help take the edge off a bad episode of withdrawal. I can't take them regularly, but situationally and they really help. If you have panic attacks coming on, two capsules of California Poppy will stop a panic attack in its tracks in 40 minutes--with no drowsiness or side effects. It's not an opiod like its cousin; it's the California state flower and many doctors use it. Totally safe. Don't be without it. Panic attacks will be a thing of the past if you keep bottles of it on hand. I like Diane's recommendations and I'll have to give those a try, but so far, this is what has allowed me to continue to run my business and function while coming off and at least have a life. The prickly sensations many of you mention and the other side effects are normal--they go away a lot faster if you don't drop so much at a time. If you can handle a 2 mg. drop or more--go for it. Your body will tell you what you can comfortably handle and with the scales you can tailor a drop small enough to get you by. Again, it takes longer than you may want, but who cares if you can make yourself reasonably comfortable along the process? Your brain/nervous system needs a lot of time to heal--and they usually do.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Ken,

I have just joined this group as I was searching on the internet about withdrawral symptoms as I am struggling. This is my second attempt at coming off this drug and I am already not sleeping, anxiety and weird dreams. I have read some of the other posts that discuss bowel issues and restless leg which I had never heard of however, is exactly what I have been experiencing for years, every night, I get really hot feet and feel like I have to get up and move around, I can't sit still and get very fidgeting in my legs. I have to walk on a cold tiled floor or something cold on my feet. I have been taking Amitripyline for 19 years for chronic migraine prevention and was on 75mg. I am now down to 25mg where I feel comfortable and ok, but when I try less than that I don't cope with terrible withdrawral symptoms. The doctors are no help and clearly have no understanding of the side effects of this medication or withdrawrals so this concerns me. This week I have been cutting the 25mg tablet in half but already I am not coping with sleep and feeling so anxious. Is this too much too soon? Im not asking the doctor anymore they dont know. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.