How to get off of Prozac safely? Only been taking for over a month.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking 40mg of prozac for a little over a month.  The nausea has been so bad and my psychiatrist gave me something for that which seems to work a little.  But also besides the nausea, I have been overeating so much it makes me sick (well mentally and sort of psychically), I’m like insatiable and in the past have lost a lot of weight and I can’t let myself get overweight again after so much work.  So the prozac was for my anxiety and I think it’s helped a tad but nothing to write home about.  But I just can’t take the overeating anymore, I see so many people here that lose their appetites.  I am also on Wellbutrin and I will stay on that but someone please help me get off of this, I left a message for my doctor but I have a feeling they will just tell me to come in again and I can’t afford going there so often.  I have seen people say prozac stays in the system long so I was hoping for some help to go off of it slowly.  I definitely don’t want to go cold turkey because i’d be scared of that.  But these are capsules so can’t be cut and half and such.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you have only taken it for a month, it shouldn't be a problem coming off Flu, so if you do want to cut down, I would think every other day for a ciyple of weeks, and see how you go to the next level

• Posted

The research I've done for myself when I choose to go through with it is very slow. 1-2 mg at a time every couple weeks. There's alot of information from those who have also gone that route. My psychiatrist doesn't have a clue when it comes down to withdrawals I've learned the hard way on my prior med Celexa.

• Posted

Hi dawnsearlylight, sounds very tough. All I have heard and read seems to emphasise the importance of coming off gradually. Mind have a brilliant website called elefriends. Keep safe, bye for now, Crofter.
    • Posted

I was on 10mg for 19 days and Buspar for 11 days. It was pure hell on those meds. My doctor told me to discontinue which I did. I have been off for 7 days now and am feeling better. I don't know that I will be trying another antidepressant right now. I just can't deal with the side effects. I am in therapy and have Ativan to take as needed. I'm gonna go from there. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you!  Today I think is the 5th day off of it.  Having some headaches but it seems the nausea and overeating have gotten better.  Can't wait til it's all out of my system.  Wish you the best!

• Posted

I had severe nausea and diarrhea along with increased anxiety and no appetite. What a nightmare. Here's to brighter days ahead!

• Posted

I have just reached 14 days on every other day taking the Fluoxetine... The next 14 days i am going to do every2 days, having a little anxiety, but i was taking rhe Flu for 10.5 weeks, and was bad for 7 months before that, taking other antidepressants, i now know the AD's weren't the answer for me, I needed therapy..... Will be glad to to be off all AD's, and right out of my system also...... smile

• Posted

I'm not far behind going for the weening off fluoxetine. I will keep up with the CBT and take it super slow. I hear you with just get this stuff out of my system. The more I read and learn I wish I new back then what I know now. Therapy and time vs taking SSRI's. I will update as I hope all of you will and have success getting back to a joyful normal. Prayer's to you all daily group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.