How to get over being a hypochondriac?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Was anyone ever a major hypochondriac like myself and got over it?

If you did, PLEASE share your process with me!!

I have horrible health anxiety, I feel a symptom, look it up, and bam! Dr Google diagnoses me with a deadly disease that I convince myself 100000000% sure that I have. This anxiety is costing me a lot of money because of the many trips to the doctors and exams to prove that I'm okay.

Please has anyone gotten over this? With CBT? Regular therapy? Medication?

It would be great if you shared your stories.

Thank you smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the process of getting over Hypochondria!

The best piece of advice I can give you is DON'T Google! My GP has told me that Google is not only full of misinformation, it's also full of information that is easy for a non medical professional to misinterpret!

I've been to the docs several times in the past few months and had him literally laugh at me when I tell him what I think is wrong! I went through a phase of being obsessed with my aorta and he told me the at risk group for aortic aneurism is men over 65 years of age! Lol!

Honestly, leave google alone! That's the first step towards getting better! Xxx

• Posted

thank you annie for your response! so far i've stopped googling my symptoms and its helped me a litte, but theres still that constant worry in the back of my mind. i hope this will all go away in time 
  • Posted

As we have spoke before I have Heath anxiety/hypochondriac. In the last month I was hospitalized twice and went to a few docs. So I owe about $5000 to medical bills. All telling me and showing me (ct scan, blood work) that I'm fine and it's all anxiety. So believe me I need the help too. Sorry I can't help you, but maybe we can help each other. I think the biggest thing is knowing that our anxiety plays tricks on us. And all our feelings we are having is our anxiety. I meditate every morning try that. It helps a bit.
    • Posted

Hi natcali! ofcourse we can help eachother like we always have. i keep blaming my stuff on my anxiety and im scared that one day ill feel something and blame my anxiety when its actually something very seriouss! i just want to get over this already 
    • Posted

I do the same thing. Last few weeks it was my head, headaches and dizziness, and since I've been so stressed at anxious I've been smoking a lot more cigarettes so now I worry about my lungs. It's exhausting and I know it's ridiculous, but it when I physically feel these things going on( tightness in chest, harder to breath)it makes me second guess that it's my anxiety. So frustrating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.