How to get over heart obsession

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok guys I really need help.. Over the past month or so I've become seriously obsessed with my heart. Mostly my heart rate. I've had every test done that could be done (bunch of ekgs, chest X-rays, chest CT scan, sonogram of my heart, complete blood tests looking at my cholesterol, triglycerides, thyroid, checking for possible blood clots, everything was tested. I even did a treadmill stress test at the cardiologist office. And everything came back completely normal as I knew it would. I always have perfect blood pressure, and I eat a very healthy diet.. Always have. I have a bad habit of checking my pulse now (I'm talking like 100 times a day no kidding) which I know increases it. My resting is normally like in the 90s-100s which multiple docs have told me is "normal" especially for my age (23) but if I go a while without checking or if I'm actually just relaxing it's back in like 60s-70s so I know it's me causing it. But I don't know how to stop. It makes me scared to do anything physical especially exercise which I've never been scared of. Exercise is good for your heart and I know this but I don't know how to get past this fear/obsession.

So basically I just want to know how you guys have coped with this type of health anxiety?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

*i started therapy a few weeks ago by the way..
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I to do the same thing. I use an app on my phone.its like for me if my pulse is somewhat okay and the little bleaps ate steady, it makes me think I am okay. I do it alot. Sometimes like 8 times in a tow. What is wrong with us????????

• Posted

I used to do the same some days I still do a few times but no where near as bad as I was had many checks heart all fine testing can be be 84 I check it for some unknown reason and it shoots up so I try and leave alone sometimes it can be as low as 70 I just keep telling myself if anything was gonna happen it would of by now and try very hard to not think about I t
  • Posted

OMG I'm the same way I'm 23 and my hand is always on my wrist checking my pulse like all day... When I'm at the gym I refuse to go hard cause I'm so paranoid
    • Posted

Yes!! I am 23 and was worried about a heart attack? Wt lol. Luckily I've gotten past that and I know it's all anxiety, but I still worry about raising it ugh
  • Posted

On a positive note you very lucky that everything is in tip top shape. Have you tried hypnosis for that. Its an ocd related anxiety. Specific. Hypnosis is good on those. 
    • Posted

I actually did try hypnotherapy Saturday and it didn't help sad I've had OCD my whole life but it's always been under control this has gotten ridiculous lol I've never worried about my health because like I said I always take care of myself!
  • Posted

Your giving it too much attention learn to ignore it or it will take over your life.

Therapy should teach you how to copesmile

• Posted

you sound like me :-) I also went private and had all the tests done similar to you. at one stage i even think my cardiologist thought I was mad - but I had to be certain my heart was ok.

I have a fitbit and i check my heart rate around 20 times per day - and its actually now caused me issues as i read too much in to it. So ive stopped myself...it took a few days but i simply only check it waking and before bed

• Posted

Yeah I felt embarrassed at the cardiologist everyone there was elderly and here I am because I'm worried over nothing. lol I'm trying to learn to just ignore and live normally
  • Posted

You sound just like me. This started back in November. I had my very first panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack. So naturally I went to the ER. They did an EKG and tested my blood. Everything looked fine and the doctor said I was going to live a long time. I went a few months doing well nothing serious than this February I had my 2nd panic attack. I went to the ER again. I had my chest x rayed. Blood work done again and checked for abnormalities. Everything came out fine. I went to my doctor because I felt really bad and week. They did an EKG because my heart was beating 130 BPM. It was crazy. My blood pressure was a little high. So he recommended me to a cardiologist. He cleared me as well but wanted to do more tests to clear me. I am going back in July. He told me my chances of a heart attack or heart disease are slim to none. But why do I feel the way I feel?! I've gotten cleared by 4 doctors and I still can't shake the feeling. I recently took a break from work. Ive done things that used to scare me by doing them thinking it was going to trigger something in my heart causing it to malfunction. Nothing has happened. For a while I was feeling normal. Then as I start thinking about it I start panicking and start thinking about it and then I go back to anxiety. I think it's all in my head. I've gotten better that I don't have palpitations anymore but I'm so used to having them that when I don't feel my heart beating I freak out. Lol I laughed cause anxiety is the worst. I too used to check my heart beat every second of the day. I have a Samsung watch and used to check it lIke 100 times a day. I've stopped that because it's not healhy and messes with your mind. It's not easy when you think something is wrong with your heart because your heart is basically how you keep living. But we gotta get it in our head that we are to young to be having heart problems. So if you are healhy and live a healthy lifestyle I wouldn't worry about it to much as I do as well. But we are always going to worry about it no matter what. We just gotta fight it.
    • Posted

thanks so much for this. i felt the exact same way and im only 20. i thought i was having a heart attack in the airport and considered missing my flight to go to the ER. i definitely feel better after reading this.

• Posted

You sound just like me. This started back in November. I had my very first panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack. So naturally I went to the ER. They did an EKG and tested my blood. Everything looked fine and the doctor said I was going to live a long time. I went a few months doing well nothing serious than this February I had my 2nd panic attack. I went to the ER again. I had my chest x rayed. Blood work done again and checked for abnormalities. Everything came out fine. I went to my doctor because I felt really bad and week. They did an EKG because my heart was beating 130 BPM. It was crazy. My blood pressure was a little high. So he recommended me to a cardiologist. He cleared me as well but wanted to do more tests to clear me. I am going back in July. He told me my chances of a heart attack or heart disease are slim to none. But why do I feel the way I feel?! I've gotten cleared by 4 doctors and I still can't shake the feeling. I recently took a break from work. Ive done things that used to scare me by doing them thinking it was going to trigger something in my heart causing it to malfunction. Nothing has happened. For a while I was feeling normal. Then as I start thinking about it I start panicking and start thinking about it and then I go back to anxiety. I think it's all in my head. I've gotten better that I don't have palpitations anymore but I'm so used to having them that when I don't feel my heart beating I freak out. Lol I laughed cause anxiety is the worst. I too used to check my heart beat every second of the day. I have a Samsung watch and used to check it lIke 100 times a day. I've stopped that because it's not healhy and messes with your mind. It's not easy when you think something is wrong with your heart because your heart is basically how you keep living. But we gotta get it in our head that we are to young to be having heart problems. So if you are healhy and live a healthy lifestyle I wouldn't worry about it to much as I do as well. But we are always going to worry about it no matter what. We just gotta fight it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.