How to get stable on gabapentin after misuse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on gabapentin just over a year, at first I took my tabs 3times daily (morn, afternoon & eve) but with time they became less effective they were prescribed for neuropathic leg pain (I'm diabetic) my dose is 2 300mg 3 times daily. I've not been coping & began taking them whenever I had pain, now I can't seem to get back to taking it 3 times daily & im in severe leg pain but also experiencing horrible withdrawals. Can anyone offer advice, I'm scared of what lays ahead

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you can just decide to take Gabapentin whenever you want to and withdraw whenever you choose. I understand your motives as I share them since I have migraine too, and gabapentin increased my migraines. But the thing about this drug is that it is controlls minds to not feel the pain  you don't want to keep jerking around your brain waves by turning it on and  then off.  Maybe ask your doctor to let you take less at a time, 3 times a day, regularly. I take 300 mg three times a day and when I cut off one dose I pay the penalty. I have severe pain in joints from old injuries and gabapentin  only helps with about 50% of the pain. Our mobility is so important to us. I wish doctors had access to more choices to deal with nerve pain.

I worry about the future also.

Sending a cyber hug....

• Posted

I wasn't even informed that this drug causes physical dependence, & as it is an anti-convulsant I had no reason to suspect it, it's not registered as a pain killer. The information leaflet that comes with it gives no warning either. If I'd known any of the above I wouldn't have even taken it...at all it only really helped in the beginning, this drug is bad for long term use the side affects are awful & withdrawals even worse it's ruining my life this situation I'm in...I wonder how long I can cope...I've read that magnesium supplement helps so will try that, and the sweating can be excessive I wish I had something for that.

Sending a cyber hug back.....🙂

Thanks for the cyber hug

• Posted

Taper slowely.10% a week or 10% every 2 weeks. It is a,slow but withdrawel is hard!!! And slower might help!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.